Ryobi 524HXX Software Issue

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by msticninja, Nov 14, 2012.

1. msticninja

msticninja Member

I'm working on a client's 524HXX, more specifically the Windows NT Workstation that runs the 522HXX software. Their hard-drive failed, so I recovered the 524's program files and settings from the failed drive, reinstalled NT, and recopied the 524's software to it. I had to install some Service Packs and such to get the right DLL and OCX files, oleaut32.dll being one of the most difficult to find the right version.

Now the program will open and display the "flag" button in the bottom right corner, but it won't connect to the press. As far as I can tell, I'm missing the proper COM port settings in the NT settings, but I can't find any documentation on proper settings.

Can anybody help me narrow down the requirements, or at least go over to your press and check the COM port settings in Control Panel, and tell me what you have listed? The only solution Ryobi will give me is to sell me a new workstation for $41K. Ridiculous.

2. CPK

CPK New Member

How have you made out on this problem. I would like to offer you some solutions.

3. msticninja

msticninja Member

I haven't made any progress yet, still having trouble getting the software past the "flag" button. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. guitarman

guitarman Member

I have replaced several of these and they are no where near that price. €5k would be closer.

5. msticninja

msticninja Member

Ryobi said they would only replace the entire technician console, which was approx. $40k. They wouldn't quote a price for anything smaller than that. If you have a source, I'd love to try them, but if you've replaced multiple consoles, you must know someone that can go into the Control Panel in NT and record the COM port settings.

There should be no need to buy new hardware just to get new software...

6. guitarman

guitarman Member

Im not sure who you are dealing with but here in europe ryobi do an exchange where they send you a new pre programmed PC and you send them your faulty one, This option is available through your Ryobi agent,

7. msticninja

msticninja Member

It doesn't really sound like the same thing to me. Our "PC" is built in to a technician console that is 6 foot long by 4 foot deep, and weighs somewhere between 800 and 1600 pounds. There is no "tower" as a normal PC has. Here is a picture, with the console on the left.
    [​IMG]

The "PC" is built into that entire drafting board and control panel. Ryobi will ship me a new unit, but it includes that WHOLE drafting section and control panel. The freight charge alone is fairly prohibitive.

As I originally said, I'm looking for some pretty simple information, that any owner of the same console should be able to look up. I'm not really looking for 3rd party price quotes, just OS configuration. I appreciate the info though, if I call Ryobi for replacement prices again, I'll see what they say.

8. guitarman

guitarman Member

NO, the pc is the gold colored box inside when you take the right hand side cover off, its located on the top right hand side of the unit as you look in from the side.
    The whole unit is called the PCSU, and that would never need to be replaced.

9. msticninja

msticninja Member

Yeah, I've been in there, as I said, the hard drive failed, so I know the layout, but the strange part is that they said the smallest part they could replace is the full console. I'll call them on Monday and see where I went wrong. Still annoying that I can't just get an image of the hard drive from them, but if I can just replace the "PC" (gold box), it's still better than the whole console. :)

Is there a part number or name for that, or should I just try to describe the part?

10. guitarman

guitarman Member

Yes there is a Part number & it is serial number dependent , I dont have it to hand but if you have no joy let me know and I will get a price for you, I am Ryobi tech here in Ireland, I really dont understand why you cant get this part. As I have said, its a very simple fix, replace the PC unit [with a new cable which comes with it} and thats it, job done..

11. msticninja

msticninja Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why they didn't offer that, there was a bit of a language barrier though. I'll see what I can find Monday and post my results.

12. ryobidave

ryobidave Member

My name is David Howard and my company is Advantage Press Services out of KC. I used to work for the North American distributor before going independent. I don't know who you are talking to that would be feeding you the BS. But the PC can be replaced on that machine without replacing the entire console. However, it is important that the serial # of the press and part# that is on a label attached to the PC is needed for Ryobi to provide the correct replacement. With that info. I could also provide you the part # and a price from Ferrostaal, the present distributor in the U.S.
    During my employment with the previous disrtibutor, we had never heard of any exchange programs offered through the factory for PC's. Is this press a perfector by chance? If so, this could be very dangerous territory if you are not certain the programs are operating 100%. Good luck

13. CPK

CPK New Member

Hello ninja, I think your best option would be to get in touch with Ferrostaal.us technical service. They will help you with the information you are requesting. Also, introduce you to their Authorized Dealer that supports the state you are in and/or coordinate a reliable source for service for you. I'm rather curious who you have been talking with representing themselves as Ryobi.
    I know personally what your challenged with and would like to share my experience over the last 3 weeks on 2 HXX's that we just replaced the hard drive. Ryobi offers just the hard drive that can be replaced for PC's. You will need MDL/SN and a number that is on the PC. This will identify the hard drive order number. It will come with a update disk that will add functions like roller/blanket wash, PDSE etc...Cost is under 2K. This is the perfect time to ghost the drive to be prepared for next time.
    One thing...You mentioned that you have been all through the PC. If you happened to notice that the VGA cable from the monitor goes to a board with a PN6534-66-612 on it. This is a PCMI/VGA card that is not supported by Ryobi anymore. When this card fails the GUI screen doesn't work or is scrambled. If you have this type you may want to think about replacing the whole PC that will have parts that are supported and will come with a new hard drive. This upgrade replacement option is under 9K. Ferrostaal can provide this information to you rather quickly.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  14. tlazzeri

tlazzeri New Member

I have a Ryobi 524GX. I have put in a new hard drive that I got from Ryobi. I am having issues with the computer restarting while the press is running now.
    Any suggestions?

15. moog

moog New Member

Have you solved this problem? If you decide, can you help me? Pls! (xpress_tu@yahoo.com)