RYOBI 3304h questions about the press

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by threesonsprinting, Feb 1, 2013.

1. threesonsprinting

threesonsprinting Member

i am looking to buy ryobi 3304h. i have a few questions.1) does it lay a good solid?. 2) does it run 14 pt card stock well?. 3) does it run envelopes well?. If anyone knows anything about this press it would be greatly appreciated for your input.
    thanks mike

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

hello KIke - 3304

Hello MIke

you are from new york ?
    so how new is YORK ?...well it is an old city by now...

So is WELL , it is a relative term.
    A Ryobi 3304H can lay a solid , but is it a good solid ? top quality ? WELL...NO
    It can run 14 p board , but can it do it well ? no scrathes ? no marks ? WELL...NO

A Ryobi is still a duplicator , a good one , rather stable and fast , but still a duplicator.
    If you are looking for a real PRESS , go for a HEidelberg SM52 or a KOMORI L-420
    They will both give you good solids , good card stock result and any other need.
    Need help locating a good one in the US - contact me , i cam help

Good luck
    Meny

3. threesonsprinting

threesonsprinting Member

yes in new york i got wiped out from sandy was running a qmdi plus now thinking about getting ryobi 3304 but most of my stock i run is 14 pt and 80-100 lb text

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hey Mike. What was it that you did not like about QMDI that you want to go conventional?

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I also know someone with Ryobi 524, hi pile feed/delivery, AQ coater. They were in the same building with Popkin and Co. - Ryobi Dealer so it is well maintained, They bought a 28 inch and running that mostly now. Press is in LIC in Queens, would you like me to provide you with owner's info?

6. threesonsprinting

threesonsprinting Member

its not that i did not like it my whole store was destroyed by sandy lost and brand new image press, cutter, folders, everything.
    yes do you know what he was asking? Send information to info@threesonsprinting.com.

7. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I have just sent you and Email regarding that RYOBI.
    I just bought 2x QMDI+ One to run one for parts, did not assemble it yet - just wanted some first hand info about good and bad...

8. FSA

FSA Senior Member

threesonsprinting
    Sorry to here about your shop.
    The 3304 is a good press for alot of jobs, and it is an offset press. A duplicator is a machine that applies ink and water throught the same rollers. They can print a good solid when the right operator is at the controls with good rubber. It's is not a high maintance press, and is a great machine to hammer out envelopes. I run a few different 3300 series machine and I have no problems putting #130 doulbe thick cover through, which mics out at .0165" Don't get me wrong everyone has there favorites for whatever reason, but when purchasing a machine you have to look at YOUR needs and buget. Meny is here to sell, is he an operator or just another salesman? Every press that I have run marks somewhere, again you have to look at your needs? I've printed top quality work on all different kind of machines, and if your blankets suck, rollers are cooked and the camfollowers are not greased with an operator that runs the water a mile high, it could be a 40" 10 colour and it wouldn't matter.

Good luck on your purchase
    FSA

9. threesonsprinting

threesonsprinting Member

just want to thank you guys for giving me your imput on this machine.I am going to purchase the machine and hope all goes well. for the qmdi it is a good machine but need alot of taking care of and me personally i would not purchase a digital machine again that consists of laser heads and diots. reason why is that i dont know how to work on internal problems when a diote goes bad or when a laser head goes bad i rather stick with a true offset press that i can figure out or read the manual and fix the part myself. but everyone is different i had alot of problems with my qmdi.

10. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Amen to that Threesonsprinting! The other benefit to running offset is you'll be offering a better quality product. Although short runs cost more The 3304 is real simple to keep up on a regular basis and reasonable cost on parts. With Crestlines or Kompacs is the best way to go but i've met some guys that can use the standard dampening system but its just tricky. Sorry to hear about your shop getting wiped out but thats life on the coast, thats why i stick to the mid-west!

Also Meny is wrong 3304 can lay a nice solid, I print 15pt on my 3302 and have minimal marking so 14pt no problem, and lastly a duplicator is a REAL PRESS last time I checked it was second to the letterpress and revolutionized the printing industry.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. FSA

FSA Senior Member

threesonsprinting
    So you went with the ryobi, if it still has the factory "H" series damps, give them a chance. I work on alot of presses and it is a good system. Kompacs are put on those presses because the operators don't understand printing and need it to be simple. Those operators have not run large formate machines, and the "H" system is more like a large formate press, it give you control. Alcohol is not required, and if you understand how the printing processes works, then it's not really tricky. And it will save you a few thousand $ in mods. Hope your up and running soon, if you need help you can PM me.
    FSA

12. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Mr. FSA and professional operators don't need it to be simple to have a better chance to concentrate on other things? :)

13. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Ryobi presses are simple machines, have you ever run a an 8c ? There are a whole lot more things to watch for, don't take it personally. If you look at why people take off the "H" damps it is ususally because they don't understand how it works and don't want to learn ! Owners get tired of problems and are not willing to pay for a operator that knows. My point is don't just rip off the factory system because some people say it's *#@!, putting a kompac on is a step backwards in quality.
    FSA

14. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Well yes I am one of those guys who in compared to a pressman who can run a 8 color press, know very little about how it works :) I am a copier service engineer went printing. Trough the years I have managed to run and repair AB Dick 360, Multi 1250W, Ryobi 3200 PFA, Ryobi 520H, AB Dick Century 3500S, TOKO R2 SH and working on RYOBI 3302H - I bought the compacs for it already :), sorry, and Heidelberg QMDI, as far as last two - the idea is to make them work good with as little outside help as possible, money have nothing to do with it, I am driven by "If others can do it, there is no way I can't" I have managed so far to spend in a range of $1000 per year on outside labor as far as maintaining my offset equipment. But I absolutely love Kompacs! I never run (but don't think that I would not be able to, may be not from the first day / try) large press, a friend has a 28inch 5 color Ryobi and I am fascinated by it. What is Interesting is that I feel urge not as much to run it but to grab a wrench work on it as mechanic :) Kompacs are great, will see how Waterless will treat me...

15. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

The Kompacs are very nice units you'll like them. Very "no brainer" to operate. Just be sure the teflon seals are burned in well or they'll leak. 30-40 min run in dry at 7-8k iph normally does the trick. I get 2 months out of a set normally. As they units get older the rubber plungers in the water bottle and water feed plungers can swell and prevent water flow. Just a heads up on that as you only have a little nip of water. Other than that they are pretty flawless. Older units with the occilator on the meter roller can suck. But once they moved the occilator to ride the water form....much better. DO NOT clean them with a rag/shop towel while running. The inward nip will suck whatever it grabs into it. Including finger tips. Enjoy~!