Ryobi 3302 versus Itek 3985

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by Dcat127, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dcat127

Dcat127 Member

What is the difference between the Ryobi 3302 and Itek 3985.

I was looking at them on eBay...everybody with an Itek says they are the same machine...

Prices on the Itek seems to be a little lower...is there a reason for this?

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

For the most part the same, with little or no electronics, Itek to me means molton damps or if your lucky kompacs. Ryobi "H or HA" series very good factory dampeners, both only have 3 ink forms. Lots of little changes over the years, but for the most part yup the basic machine is the same. If I had to pick between the two I would take a newer Ryobi over the older Itek just for the dampeners.

3. graficworx

graficworx Member

The machines mechanically are identical. Itek and AB Dick both resold the Ryobi in the US. Iteks are going to be a bit older as they haven't sold them new in quite a while. AB Dick still sells new ones. I would stay away from the conventional dampening on the Itek. If possible get one with either Crestlines or Kompacs. Kompacs are supposed to be a little better. I have an Itek with Crestlines, and it comes up to color in under 10 sheets. The Crestlines rollers only last a year or so, whereas the Kompacs last considerably longer. A new set of Kompacs is about $4500 USD, a set of Crestlines a little cheaper. If the Itek was maintained well, it will print very well, and you could even do 4 color process. You can tell the age by the number of feeder belts. I can't remember the exact age to belt ratio, maybe someone else can help you with that. Good luck on your press purchase.

4. FSA

FSA Senior Member

The Itek we had has six belts(198?), were the Ryobi hads four(90's & up for sure). I thought ABDick was out ot business years ago, and what was left of it was bought by Presstek. And Presstek to moving away from conventional presses and concentrating on DI machines and CTP devices?

5. graficworx

graficworx Member

Our Itek has 4 belts, but someone may have removed some along the way. We have a local dealer here who still sells brand new AB Dicks, which I believe are just rebadged Presstek "ryobis". Presstek also sells a single color, 2 color (3302) and 4 color (3304) conventional press.

6. FSA

FSA Senior Member

Look under the feed table and see if there are six guides for the tapes or just four. And that news to me about a ABDick dealer, the name has been around for a long time, good for him.

7. K777

K777 New Member

They are so identical they even use the same parts numbers