Ryobi 3202 vs Heidelberg 46-2

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Dcat127, May 3, 2010.

1. Dcat127

Dcat127 Member

I would like to purchase an offset press that can be used to do some 4 color work. Right now I am looking at a used Ryobi 3202 and a Heidelberg QM 46-2 which one would be best?

2. mutti8000

mutti8000 Member

Why not QMDI?

If you want to stick to the two presses mentioned, i would go with the Ryobi.
    Better feeder and side-lay if you ask me.

None of them is perfect for 4c jobs, i would look in the direction of a Quickmaster-DI
    You can get them next to nothing...

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

I agree with Mutti8000 The Ryobi 3302 would be the better choice for process work as the quickmaster has no sidelay.

If you need to buy a two colour press for printing process work and these are the only two within your budget I would go for the 3302, simply because the 3302 has a sidelay and dedicated blankets.

For spot colour I would prefer the Quickmaster because of ease of use, fast change over of jobs and heidelberg build quality.

4. VanQuill-Printing

VanQuill-Printing Member

We have both in our shop (3302 & QM-46) We run %100 of our process work on the 3302

5. Printer71

Printer71 Member

Maybe this is a little bit out of topic but: I'm thinking to step forward with 4c machine. Would be 3304 right for the first step? Any advice about this machine? How does it print envelopes (I have a feeder...)?
    Now I work with 2c machine (52x35cm / 20x14in.). This will stay in shop...
    Thanks!

I think that I made a mess here. I opened new question in Ryobi Printing Presses - Buying 3304H

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  6. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

From anyone I know who runs the 3304 they are a good machine however you will struggle with areas with large coverage they just seem to be lacking inking power. We where disappointed with the results we where shown when we where looking for a 3304 and decided to go down the QMDI route instead.

I'm sure someone with first hand experience will share their opinion.

7. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

8. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

Thanks for the link very interesting review, as I was trying to say I wasn't speaking from first hand experience as I have never ran the 3304 I've just heard a few bad stories (probably down to unmaintained presses) and samples we seen may have been from poor press opperators. Ryobi make fantastic machines and we have had several over the years and always thought very highly of them. sorry if my comment seemed was misleading :)

9. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

Well, after I reread the OP, I see this was about the 3304 and not the 3404 in which I have experience with...two completely different machines.

10. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

Yeah, the 3404 is an amazing looking machine. Spent along time drooling over one at Ipex :)

11. Litho

Litho Member

I run a 3404 DI as well as a QM 46-2 and i have to say its an incredible machine. we had a QM46 DI before the Ryobi and it blows the heidy out of the water. But as for as running process on the 46-2 i've had to do it when my QM DI was down, not the greatest but it worked out ok. Biggest thing like previous comments is the lack of any true guide on the press. My advise: if your really in the market for a 4 color and dont want to spend the money get the 3302, if you gotta bigger budget but dont want to break the bank get a QMDI, but if you really want a awesome 4 color get the 3404.

12. VanQuill-Printing

VanQuill-Printing Member

Are you running any process color work off your 2 color machine now?
    The QM's print envelopes great (anybody can run it)
    The Ryobi can be difficult even for the expeirenced pressman. The set up takes alot more time... We have an envelope feeder for our Ryobi but still we run 95% of our envelopes on the QM without a feeder.
    We run alot of quality 4 color work off our 2-color press, but not without hard work and careful attention.
    If you have the work or deep enough pockets i would go for the 4 color Ryobi especially since you are keeping your 2 color machine in production.

13. Printer71

Printer71 Member

My answer is in Ryobi Printing Presses - Buying 3304H

14. VanQuill-Printing

VanQuill-Printing Member

Printer71

Are you trying to tell me I'm long winded and i should've just said go with the 3304!!!

15. Printer71

Printer71 Member

Absolutely not.

16. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

I agree with you to a point about the setup on the Ryobi press. After running the 3404 for over 4 months I have the process down pretty well in which it literally only takes about 5 mins or less to setup the feeding and delivery. When I first switched from the QMDI to the 3404, I was very frustrated with the amount of adjustments that are in the feeder. Now I am very glad these additional features and adjustments are there.

17. weljo

weljo Member

I need manual for adast 313, please..