Ryobi 3030 color registration

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by dixiemex, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dixiemex

dixiemex New Member

I am needing help in amking color registration on 4 color jobs on a 2 color press, can any one give me some insight on this subject. I am use to printing on a web press and now I working on this type press baffled here, any help is greatly appreciated.

2. discountprintingservice

discountprintingservice Senior Member

Helpful tips

As a press operator I have run everything from a Multi 1250 & ABDick 360 to a Heidelburg 19x25 including process color. I have run critical register jobs on presses with register boards as well as duplicators. Presses with register boards are by far better with pull guides being the choice of register devices, however push guides will do a good job when set up properly. Registering on a direct feed duplicator can be more of a chore, but if you carefully cut your paper perfectly square and have everything set to manufacturer specifications (cylinder pressures, feed rollers parrallel - press must be perfectly level also) you can acheive good results. Paper guides that are too tight will bow the sheet causing miss registration, too loose sheets moves to much. For direct feed presses I start with square stock, align my registering side guide squarely to the paper, then the back guide with tension but very lightly (object is to hold paper against front stop without bowing sheet) and then the opposite side spring guide. I like to run my spring vertical against the paper pile but only works with really square cut paper. Just remember there has to be enought paper in the stack to allow this, once stack gets to low it will bow up. Always test a small quantity by running it through the press twice & you can see if it is off & how much. One mistake I see operators make is forcing the sheet in with too much feed roller pressure or "buckle" or not enough. There is a fine line here as it needs just enough to square it up on the stops of the impression cylinder or transfer cylinder grippers. Feed roller pressure is critical too, if it is not square it will cause some sheets to twist slightly going in. Almost all of the above applies to presses with register boards also, for example if the sheet goes down the board crooked it has less chance of registering perfectly by the push or pull guides. Push guides don't neet to be set to tight either as this will also bow the sheet inconsistently. Let the sheet clear the springs by about 1/16" consistenly when feeding, then push the sheet so it just barely compresses the sheet against the spring guide. Make sure you use the right spring too, many press manufacturers have different spring guides usually one for heavy paper and one for light paper stocks. As for pull guides, the easiest way to register sheets, make sure everything works freely, no binding, & adjust spring pressure just tight enough to get good consistent pull to the "block" or "lay". Also if the plate on the pull guide doesn't have enough clearance it will drag on the sheet causing miss registration, operators manuals will have proper procedures for setting this adjustment, but usually set it with 2 thicknesses of the paper you are running is good. On all presses you must have your gripper set properly, if not you're in for a bad day. One last note, when cutting your paper square, stick the paper in well jogged to the back and left guides. Make your cut & rotate your cut edge to the guide. Repeat until all 4 sides have a clean cut edge (note: cutter backguage must be perfectly square for best results). I hope this helps!:cool: