Ryobi 2800 Gripper adjustment help!

Discussion in 'Ryobi Printing Presses' started by Plastics Printer, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Plastics Printer

Plastics Printer Member

I've never had to adjust the grippers on my ryobi 2800....I'm in the process of getting a whole new set, however, I'm having a difficult time understanding how to adjust them properly from what I am seeing in my service manual...it doesn't look quite the same and I don't get it!...is there a proper way to set both the gripper and stopper? An actual picture of the perfect settings would help if it's too hard to explain.

2. Eric

Eric Member

gripper adjustment

easy to do. get a piece of 20# paper and tear into strip. put one end of paper in one (1) of the grippers on the bar. it should be tight to where pulling on paper the paper does not come out easy. make sure you have even tension on all grippers. loosen allen screw to adjust. you want the paper tight but not too tight to the point of tearing the sheet when pulling on it.
    make sure release point of paper into the delivery is the same on all gripper bars.

3. Plastics Printer

Plastics Printer Member

Humm....I think you are talking about the pressure to the cylinder....what I'm trying to understand is not the pressure, but the distantance or placement of both (Stop finger and the Gripper finger). you can loosen the phillips screw ...not the allen head....and slide both up and down on the impression cylinder gripper bar....when I slide the stop finger all the way down...the lead edge of a 24# bond sheet being fed into the press never hits the stop fingers!...keep in mind I have a new upper rubber feed roller adjusted to turn 1 and 1/4 revs and aligned properly to the lower chrome feed roller...I would think it should hit the stop finger at that pressure?...now...if I move the stop finger all the way up towards the impression cylinder....it will get jammed and either not open or close!...soooo....I guess what I need to know is where the stop finger is suppose be?....all the way up...in the middle...or all the way down?....if it's in the middle...I would need to know how to set that correctly...if it's the other two options....I will cry!!!...like a lot!!!

4. Plastics Printer

Plastics Printer Member

Hey Eric...I do thank you for your effort in try'n to help me!...I realize it takes a little time to type out instructions or info for a fix....just want to say thanks!!! : )

Chris660 likes this.
  5. Eric

Eric Member

thought you were talking about chai grippers. sounds like a timing issue. not sure but timing is adjusted by the 3 allen screws on gear near impression cylinder.

6. Plastics Printer

Plastics Printer Member

sigh....I won't know until the weekend when I go to print....I'm going to wing it until I know for sure it's the timing....I hate adjusting my timing!!!...I was hoping for a different answer!...it was my guess if the new grippers didn't work...sigh again....I will wait for the weekend before I start shed'n those tears!

7. printdeal

printdeal Member

first of all you have to make sure that your feed timing is ok. After that make sure your feed roller pressure is correct, too much pressure will push the paper to far against the gripper stops, too low presure will make the paper to fail in reaching the stops ussually the correct pressure of the feed roller can be set up while turning the hand wheel forward and with your fingers try to stop the feed roller from roling the correct pressure should be that while it turns you can be able to stop the roller from turning from there you can set it up to thicher or thinner stock you can verify this when the paper is dropped in the chain delivery the edge of the paper on the gripper side should be marked by the stops while the paper hits them. The paper should be slightly marked.
    Now I know your problem is with the grippers on the impression cylinder this will only affect your pick up timing between the imp. cylinder and the delivery gripper. Please check this before you can go any further in adjustments. Let me know how it goes.

8. Dan1

Dan1 Member

This may help you. Couple pages from the repair manual. Let me know if you need something more.

Attached Files:

9. Plastics Printer

Plastics Printer Member

Thank you to all who gave me some input!… I guess I should have said I’ve been running this press for over 18 years now, so I do know the basic setup on this press…most of what I print is perfed and punched plastic and isn’t square or exact to size….and until recently, the majority of my printing had to only be close to the area and could be a little out of register…that was until now!!!…anyway… This is how it all worked out… I still don’t have an absolute on how far up or down the “Paper stoppers” are suppose to be…so I set them in the middle….If I loosened the Phillips heads and slid them all the way down…the paper never hit them and would never register!…I planned on this taking a few hours since I wanted them square to the front edge of the paper as it’s feed into the impression cylinder…first I adjusted my feed wheel and buckle so that the paper was pinched equally on either side to avoid any skewing…then I took an old thin aluminum plate with a square edge and trimmed it down to fit in behind ALL the grippers. I would slide the aluminum plate behind the grippers and bring each stopper up to meet the edge…starting with the two outer edge grippers first and then bring the middle grippers up one at a time!…it took a little time before I had them square to a sheet being fed through the feed roller…I made sure this was as square as possible!…It’s printing great now!…I will add this though….the registration wasn’t all about the impression grippers!…It was the bent taper pin in the gear connected to the “3-Plate cam”!!!!…once I replaced that….re-set the timing ( which was off as well!) and replaced the grippers…Well…It’s finally printing like the damn thing should be!!!…I can’t believe I didn’t catch that first!…as far as the “Paper Stoppers” go…does that sound like the correct way to line them up?…or is there a better method?