running dead unit in front

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by jmt, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jmt

jmt Senior Member

we are running a cd 6 color with 1 and 6 unit used for other colors or varnish. the other units run are process inks. the problem we are having is getting ink build up on the 6th unit and transfer to the sheet once it builds up to much. i have tried taking packing out and taking back the pressure to blanket as much as we can still getting ink build up.I was taught never to run a dead unit in the front but they want to keep it this way for ease of throwing a varnish down without having to move all the colors down .im just wondering is there maybe a way to desenitise the blanket to prevent ink build up or just maybe take the blanket right off.just wondering if anyone had any thoughts what could be done.

2. FSA

FSA Senior Member

jmt
    Get a pearl-tec (anti marking product for transfer cylinders) and pack it low and put that on instead of a blanket. You still have to clean it at the end of the shift.
    FSA

3. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

I would just run it with the same pressure as all the others, failing that, take the blanket off??

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

run the 6th unit on impression with pressure set same as the others. if your running permapacks under plate just pull off plate on 6th unit and lock up clamps

5. pressman57

pressman57 Senior Member

Yeah, just run the other unit on impression. It's another blanket to wash but it solves alot of marking problems.

6. Pressman Jay

Pressman Jay Member

What do you pack you blankets at? What is the caliper of your blankets? Are thier any colors that build up more then others on this unit? Could be a bad fountain mix.