Running a SM 102 CD 6 color 28x40 1995. guide headstop gripper timing

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by charlie wishon, Jun 5, 2017.

1. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

Is there a way to adjust the timing between the side guide and the headstops ?

2. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

I know about timing the feeder to the headstops. and the timing between the forwarding suckers and the in feed cam. wasnt sure if there was a way to adjust headstop gripper and guide timing

3. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

There's degree timing values and adjustments for all functions, but few are tasks a pressman should take on. If you're seeing an issue with side guide lifting time relative to closing time of swing grippers, it's likely going to be a wear factor in side guides or cam followers on swing arm. Another possibility would be that servo for cover plate/swing arm grippers is not functioning properly. When you set the stock thickness, does the value continue to flash?

charlie wishon likes this.
  4. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Dear Sir:
    Hi, i hope you are well
    I strong recommend you, do not touch any adjustment
    involvement with the degree of machine. This need special
    tools from Heidelberg like: Degree Disc, and complements.
    By other side need to know very exactly the degrees, for sheet alingment system +control time front lays,pull rails,propelling roller
    double sheet detector,etc.
    Back to me any question or doubt

5. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

No it does not... when the guide rail starts to pull the head stop grippers do not open to allow the sheet to pull until the guide is about to raise . So at the very end of the pull the head stops raise slightly to allow the sheet to pull.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

The swing arm grippers, during guiding time, are serving as "cover plates"...similar to the old style headstops, which swing away after guiding time. Immediately after guiding time, the cover plates become swingarm grippers, you should see them make a brief upward movement and then come back down to grip the sheet and start transfer movement to transfer cylinder. Open up your first unit OS cover and check the cam follower on the control cam.

7. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Can you tell at what degree value, your sheet is arriving at front lays / headstops?

8. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

the sheet arrives at the correct time. I believe that as the sheet is being pulled to the guide stop, the headstop grippers should release the sheet during the entire pull. They only raise slightly at the end of the pull. The bearing/roller for the cam , and cam may have excessive wear causing the issue. there is no slop or play in the bearing/Roller.

9. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

Thanks Junker1984 . I had checked it previously. the follower doesn't touch the cam all the way around. i believe it should, there is wear all the way around the cam. the cam follower/bearing/Roller. is only a $60.00 part . I'm not sure the cost of the cam as of yet. parts book calls the cam follower a Roller.

10. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Keep in mind,with feeder tripped off the roller will not follow cam fully due to the engagement of the trip lever.

11. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

Ok I will . Thank you !

12. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Bills in the mail !

13. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

when the feeder is engaged there is a stop screw on the cam follower arm .
    will adjusting it get the headstop grippers to open more, and less. will it affect the timing that they open ?

14. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

i assume turning the stop screw counter clock wise will decrease the pressure from the cam follower to the Cam. turning it clockwise would allow for more pressure, and give more action to the headstops. would you concur? or is my assumption wrong