Roland700 perfector 1997

Discussion in 'Man Roland Printing Presses' started by JOHNYPRINT, Dec 28, 2009.

1. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

HI guys
    latest on the situation is this,we replaced the cam followers on the third unit impression (just after the perfector - 2/4), and the cam followers on the transferter between three and four and the double has 90% gone, so we are on the right track, not sure if we should try changing the gripper pads next, i have been told we will need some special equipment to set the height of the pads?
    The double is certainly happening on the transferter between 3 and 4, when we drop out units 4,5 and 6, units 2 and 3 print sharp so the perfector is not where the problem is.
    loupeyeyed could you please stay away from this thread, all you have said has been no help at all.
    regards johnyprint

2. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

I totally apologize for coming across so negative about the Rolands Johnny. I understand why you don't need my input about this situation also. I've been through this EXACT PROBLEM with my company for years but no problem, I'll stay away but I know in my heart that you are chasing a ghost.

3. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

Jhony, before you start changing the Gripper pads are 100% sure that the Torsion bars are ok. These were often a common source of doubling on the 700.

4. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi rolandman
    We have a maintenance team and they have put new torsion bars in when they have broke, they told me that if they do break they dont release the sheet and rip the front of the sheet, i guess without the tension they dont open/release the sheet quick enough. what do you think could go wrong with them that would cause them to cause a print double but not damage the front edge of the sheet. could some of the components be worn,am i right in saying that it's a square shaped bar wich locates in end pieces with square holes in them.
    regards johnyprint

5. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

The bars are hexed and twisted into their brackets and they are one of the problems I mentioned many posts ago. The female bracket wears and the torsion bar ends up wiggling in its bracket. One of the double problems and a lead edge nip problem. If it's the torsion bars the problem will usually go away after the press gets up to speed due to centrifugal force. The torsion bars close the grippers as I'm sure you already know. Any slop in the bar itself could definitely contribute to an image double.

6. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

Correct

7. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Thanks
    I'm glad that you have confirmed a suspicion, i have had a discussion about the torsion bars with the engineers, i will make sure that these components are in good condition, i have looked at them in the parts book, it should'nt be a big or costly component to change.
    thanks johnyprint:D

8. steveo

steveo Senior Member

I just heard a big commercial printer in my area bought 2 700s , hope that opens up some opportunities for me , I havent worked since may 09 and I actually miss the businees as crazy as that sounds,,,, Ive run 4 different Rolands a 93 700 a 99 700 & 300 and a 2004 708 UV ....all did good work but just like any other machine things go wrong , but there all still running! good luck with yours Johnny

9. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

you'll have to tell loup whose just bought the 2 700's so he can persuade them to get a miller ;):D:p

Only jokin loup, Good luck getting a new job Ste

10. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

If I'm going to persuade anybody into buying a press it's definitely going to be a Komori. Although, the first press that I ever worked on was a MILLER. What a state of art piece of machinery!!! LOL. I'll stick with the Komori's and from what I've heard the Shino's or Mitsubishis. Japenese,Japanese,Japanese!!!!!!!!!

11. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

steveo
    Good luck when you go for the job. I was out of print for about 12 months in 1999 and it did'nt take long to get back up to speed, so i'm sure you'll be a great asset to that commertial firm setting up near you. You are clearly very knowledgable from reading the advice and help you have put forward in this forum. good luck and if i could be of help in any way please ask and i will do my best. regards johnyprint

12. steveo

steveo Senior Member

Thanks Johnny!

13. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

It all boils down to putting ink on paper.
    Whether you like the Rolands, the Komori's, or the Heidelbergs, thing is we all have a common thread. We know how to put ink on paper and balance oil and water. We're offset pressman and that's just what we do. I love the diversity of this website, surprised to see so many business owners involved on it. I hope their lead pressman are just as serious.

14. peheidelberg

peheidelberg Member

have you set the torsion bars on the transferter and the impression cylinder gripper shaft,what stock are you running and is your pre tention on your grippers set right?

15. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi peheidelberg
    we are about to start changing tortion bars and replace gripper pads, how do you get the correct amount of torsion when setting the torsion bars.
    thanks for your input. regards johnyprint

16. peheidelberg

peheidelberg Member

Hi Johnyprint

on the opperators side of the either the transferter or the impression cylinder there is an cap which fits onto the end of the torsion bar if they are new the best is on the cap there will be 2 slots to fit the bolts you turn the cap till you are in the middle of the slots you can turn the cap with a 24 or 27 spanner once you have done that turn the press so that the grippers are in the open posistion on the transferter that will be in the top posistion and the impression cylinder it will be in the bottom position just after the transfer posistion and make sure that when the grippers are in the open posisiton the cam follower is still on the cam if you can turn the cam follower with your finger then you need to put more tension on the tortion bar
    hope this helps

17. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Thanks for your reply, we are familiar with the process that you discribed, i am wondering how do you know how much tension you need?. do you just put a screwdriver behind the grippers and feel how much resistence there is when you lever them back. regards john

18. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Use an 0.03 mm feeler gauge to set the
    grippers evenly (40 Nm gripper pressure).To be Precise...

19. peheidelberg

peheidelberg Member

hi there johnyprint if you give me your email adress I will send you some info its shows you have to set the pretention on the infeed drum but the precedure is the same for the rest of the gripper bars

20. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member