Roland700 perfector 1997

Discussion in 'Man Roland Printing Presses' started by JOHNYPRINT, Dec 28, 2009.

1. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi all
    I am currently having an issue with doubling on the drive side of my press,tail edge of the sheet, units two and three double,four five and six ok.
    I am currently going through the press cleaning and re-setting the grippers but has anybody had or having a similar problem. I forgot to mention that the machine has double impression cylinders and the double alternates from sheet to sheet left and right of print. I have thoughts of it being a deaper mechanichal issue but i am looking for some guidance. We also have a KBA 104 perfector and this has the same problem after the perfector. any help would be great. does any body know any roland engineers/demonstrators on this site cheers.johnyprint

2. USAPressmen.com

USAPressmen.com Senior Member

I worked on a roland 300 for awhile.. my first thought is to do what your already doing, checking the grippers. I know of a roland mechanic, but hes in the U.S. :( I will try to call him and see what he says about this issue.

3. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Roland 700

Hi USApressman .com
    Thanks for your reply, your help is very appreciated. He can email me at john.higgins@sky.com
    regards and a happy new year johnyprint

4. USAPressmen.com

he said your its most likely your grippers between unites 3 and 4 on the transfer cyclinder. If not, check your vacuum hoses. Hope that helps!

5. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Roland 700

Hi USApressman
    Thanks for your help, i will continue to clean and re-set the grippers, i'm not sure what he is refering to when he mentioned the vacuum hoses, perhaps you could let me know his contact details(Email) so i can correspond directly.
    I will let you know how i get on .
    kind regards john higgins

6. USAPressmen.com

He said there are alot of vacuum suction on the cylinders that hold the sheet down from flapping since its a 40".. Sorry I dont have an email for him and im not sure if he would want me to give his phone number out :(

7. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Thats ok USApressman
    thanks for your reply, i will check this out when i get back to work. It' snowing in england at the moment, i bet it's not snowing in florida, hope your well thanks for your help
    regards john

8. USAPressmen.com

LOL I've never evern seen snow in person! Although we are having some record lows (for florida) temperature here at the moment.

9. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Attached Files:

10. USAPressmen.com

I dont know why, but whenever I think of the U.K., I picture small living spaces - houses extremely close to each other... I guess its because the movies only show the big city areas. Either way, the U.K. is on my list of places to visit!

11. Pressman8color

Pressman8color Member

I think he means the Vacuum hoses are air blowers, under each unit, that blows down on the sheet. There are gauges, on operator side, under each step. Check gauges set for air flow to back cylinders to keep it from slapping.

12. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Roland 700

Hi pressman8colour
    Thanks for your reply, when i get into work tomorrow i will look at these . we do have a problem with these so i will make sure they are working correctly. After re-setting the grippers the double between decks 3 and 4 has gone but the double between 2 and 3 is still there, it's a bit more awkward because it's the perfector drum . What year of manufacture is the roland you work on, ours is 1997 and has seen happier days but we are starting to get some issues sorted. regards john higgins

13. Pressman8color

Pressman8color Member

Hi Johnyprint
    I ran a Man Roland 700 (2000 issue), we had a lot of problems with the gripper and doubling. We actually had gripper bust off from the screw and hit the back cylinder.....and Manroland themselves didnt have an answers. Be careful with the tighting of these screws, for they are not very strong. I would suggest having a service tech from Manroland come down and set them for you properly. We had to call them in on this issue too..and they were able to fix it. Good luck

14. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

i need service manuals of ROLAND 700 and 200....plz contact me at my email... aqazi81@gmail.com.

15. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

Have you eliminated the possibility of the torsion bars? They are put in a bind by factory and have an inherent problem of wearing inside their housing. Just a thought. Very familiar with the 700 series and really upset after hearing that they "MAN ROLAND" has no research and design department. They use the printing industry after selling their product. WOW, is all I have to say. In my opinion the Germans over-engineer their products, they have a lot of great ideas and try to implement them into everyday machinery. Fact is, it doesn't work that way. The 700 series is probably the biggest failure I've ever heard of in the printing industry. We aquired one at my shop and it has been the biggest disappointment in the whole city. They are mechanically sound and poorly designed, especially electronically. Did you know that the first prototypes would completely shut down if someone walked through the pressroom talking on their cellphone? That's a fact.. Man Roland is booked with lawsuits over the 700 series. Still, to this day, we cannot shut the power off on the 700 or the Rotoman 5c 38" web over the weekend. It will take both presses at least a day to reboot. Like I said, great ideas and poorly executed. Man Roland is a faliure of a company. If you want to print without hassle, buy Japanese!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

We have similar problems with our 700, lots of electrical problems that are hard to remedy, we dont turn the power off on our press over the weekend because of the problems we will encounter on monday, the computer screen to operate the press is not very user friendly,if we have a sheet crash in the lays we have to walk all the way back to the computer to clear the error then start the press.
    thanks for your idea, johnyprint

17. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

johny when you say a crash in the lays i assume you mean an overshoot i think if you turn your drop sheet sensors off you wont have to clear the overshoot error, might be different on your series press but as far as i recall that should work but as your on a perfector dunno if its wise about the not turning the press off over the weekend if your getting lots of errors when you pwer down and back in the morning i think your fibre optics are on there way out its not a big deal to change them, materials cost a few hundred max and a good sparky should do it in half a day to a day max

18. Loupeyeyed

Loupeyeyed Senior Member

Don't think it has anything to do with the fiber optics. From my experience it is the contacors and relays. Poorly designed electronically, the Germans should stick to making chocolate.

19. rolandman

rolandman Senior Member

do the contactors trip out?

is just that i ran one of the first few 700's in the uk back in 1994 and i didnt have as much electric problems as you guys seem too and certainly powered down at weekends.

20. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi rolandman
    Can you give me your opinon on the transfertas causing a double whilst printing,(please read previous threads). At the moment i have cleaned and re-set grippers on the impressions and transferters, still the same. Trying to convince the boss that the next step is to change the cam followers then the gripper pads, have you got any further ideas.
    regards johnyprint