Rip and Equipment Question?? 242/252 CREO RIP

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by rafavalles, Dec 7, 2009.

1. rafavalles

rafavalles New Member

I'm about to get a 242/252 Docucolor, the seller is offering me a Creo Server, because he knows I'm used to a Splash G640 server.

I know there are 4 different options of Rips, my question is Is CREO the best option, I do print for Designers and my Print Shop or this is just an extra that i can live with out??

Also, he is taking my old equipment on 3k, do you believe its a good deal??

Any comment will be really appreciate it.

2. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

What is your old equipment? A new 242/252 fully loaded is about $40,000-$50,000. Big configurable costs are the RIP, OHCF feeder, and to a lesser extent the finisher. What is the condition of the machine you are getting and how confident are you of its condition - that is what would set the value for me.

3. rafavalles

rafavalles New Member

My old equipmet isa Docucolor 12 with Splash g640 G5 server. The reburbished Docucolor 240 with creo server. 25k .

4. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Its always hard to know the best, because you don't know the problem files till you've had your system for a while, by then its a bit late to change.

I just ran into a file providing troubles on my 240 with EFI 250 external RIP, I still have my Docucolor 12 and it did better printing a sky that goes from almost white to dark blue. On the 240 it had light magenta pixelation showing up like measles in the darker blue.

$3,000 sounds about right for the Doc 12 but would he charge 28,000 for cash. My guess is it would still be 25,000.00 . If its not really 3000 and you have room to keep your Doc 12 as a backup I would recommend it, but be sure to specify your Doc 12 is on a click charge only, with no minimum, they were slipping a quarterly minimum in my supposed auto renewal that would have doubled my current usage click charge.

I'm still hopeful the Tech is right about the problem being the Image Transfer belt cleaner but I'm guessing it is going to be more. Thing is with a 2nd machine you have more possibilities to verify when there is a problem. And you have a backup when they have to order parts. Its really a benefit to Xerox that you have a backup so they don't need to get there that instant.

I would like to try a CREO RIP and likely will next time provided color is good. EFI seems to be in permanent BETA with more features equating to more breaking of the color - they could at least get people on the same page by adding a checksum checking routine to installation and keeping a current system disk for download with patch updates pre-installed.

That said, the ability to self install, fusers and Coronas and drums makes it the best for our rural area.

Ken
    CommunityPrinters.com

5. DYL4N

DYL4N New Member

I use the Creo Spire V2 pro on my 242, previously used EFI. I find the creo to be superior on all levels, my only quirke is you cant rename jobs in Storage Queue :(