Ricoh Aficio SP c830dn, Windows Print Server and Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Ricoh Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by karlvowens, Aug 23, 2013.

1. karlvowens

karlvowens New Member

This may be the wrong place to post this, but I can't seem to find a more appropriate place.

I have a Ricoh Aficio SP c830dn printer that I need to print to our Windows 2008 Server R2 print server. When sending prints to the printer they hang in the print queue on the Mac with the status "Printing - Copying print data".

The Windows server is configured with LPR services enabled.
    Printer is added on the Mac using LPD.
    Same configuration we use on several dozen successfully printing HP printers.

The behavior is consistant across Apple hardware.
    The behavior is consistant across various Mac OS X versions 10.7.x and 10.8.x.

I can print directly to the printer without issue usng IP printing.
    I can print to the Windows print server with the generic postscript driver no problem.
    I can print to the Windows print server from Window 7 without issue.

The problem definitely seems to be between Mac OS X using the Ricoh driver and Windows print server.

If I leave the job in the print queue long enough (20-30 minutes) the job will evenutually complete.

I've tried vaious versions of the Windows drivers on the print server to see if they have any impact, and they all produce the same result.

I contacted Ricoh and they said they don't support using their printers through a Windows print server on Mac OS X. They did offer to sell me an annual network service contract to help figure out why it doesn't work, but would not gaurentee that they would solve the issue.

If anyone can provide some asisstance in configuring this correctly your assistance would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to spread the word that Ricoh is not an Apple friendly company and should be avoided... that would also be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Karl