Ricoh 651 / 751 experience

Discussion in 'Ricoh Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by vividred, Sep 13, 2011.

1. laser007

laser007 Member

Banding problems are starting up with our Ricoh 651. Does anyone know if Ricoh came up with a fix for this yet?

2. laser007

laser007 Member

How do you run banners on 651. Please clarify?

3. stonemask

stonemask New Member

has any1 here been experiencing a 90mm banding from the trailing edge in the 75% outprints? and the A4 keeps getting wrinkled up in the PTR or it stops after the fuser. Really weird problem and we have tried everything. Changed the ITB, PTR, Fuser, Bias Roller & the Guide plate and right now we are clueless.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72033307/20131128151829034.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72033307/20131128152034898.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72033307/20131128152117465.pdf

the documents look weird, that´s because it´s SRA3 format and I can´t correctly scan those. and the banding is always at 90mm

4. hoolio

hoolio New Member

Did you try to turn off skew detection, that could resolve problem with A4 sheet,
    problem with banding may be fusing unit problem.
    You may try to speed up or slow down fusing unit ..... Is this happening on all paper weights

5. Lithografen

Lithografen New Member

This looks like a developer housing problem. Do you know which revision housing you got in the machine?

6. stonemask

stonemask New Member

sry for late reply, we found what was wrong, it was the PTR motor that was defective.

7. FLPNYC

FLPNYC Member

This is directly related to the Cleaning units, Charge Rolls and Drums. Once you swap out these parts for new ones the banding will be resolved. If you still have issues, you can turn down the halftone to 600 dpi instead of 1200, this will also help. If this still doesn't help you have to go back into your file and make sure in the PDF the solid you are printing is an object and not a raster image. PM me if you still need help.

8. stonemask

stonemask New Member

thank you for yous assistance, I already figured it out :)

9. VPress

VPress New Member

We've been running a C651EX for about three years now. Poor service and spotty performance have been the rule on this machine. Depending on your area, the service you receive may be better. The machine will work fine for a while (2-4 wks) then inexplicably go down. Some of this are quality issues that, according to our tech., are related to cheap and chintzy manufacturing issues. It seems as though we are test bunnies too. 3/4 or the time, our tech. is learning the machine while he fixes it. The TCRU, or "user replaceable" items are difficult to acquire and there is no indication that a problem is associated with any particular part, so the program is pretty useless. The unit seems quite cheaply made all around -- parts tend to fall off or break at the slightest bump (i.e. door fasteners, exit tray arms, clips, sensors, etc.).

10. FLPNYC

FLPNYC Member

Get your technician to give you the service manual and the TCRU parts codes. If you are paying for TCRU you can place the call your self and have new parts sent to you when you send back the old ones. The service manual will tell you what parts cause what Image Quality problems. 2-4 weeks of up time before you need service is Not that bad. I have a canon 6010 that needs a technician in every few days, and I cannot replace parts on my own. Clean and inspect the charge rollers every 5k-10k impressions and vacuum out the Cleaning units. They tend not to clean the waste toner well on long full color runs. Also make sure you have at least 20% humidity.

11. ttopman

ttopman Member

Have all these issues been resolved? I found this thread just as I was about to sign off on a used C651ex.

12. FLPNYC

FLPNYC Member

Used 651? In terms of Image quality, the 651/751 can't be beat. The KM comes close, but has similar banding issues, that you can't service on your own. The Canon can't even be considered. The resolution quality of the canon c700/c800 isn't even close in terms of clarity and quality. I have demoed all and own a Canon and a Ricoh 751ex. If it Is used, make sure it has under a million impressions. You WILL need to service it on your own and keep an eye on the drums/charge/cleaning units. Make sure if you run into banding issues, get a tech to swap out the developer UNITS. Not just the developer.

13. ttopman

ttopman Member

Which KM? C6000/7000? All the dreadful comments on this page have got me thinking to switch to Xerox 560. I come from a strong offset background so all this talk of swinging registration, banding and constant babying is the stuff of nightmares. It's like if I get the 651 I'd be sucked into a horror movie....like Evil Dead or something....lol.
    I think I need to rethink my decision. You seem to have the most positive reviews here, are these problems really manageable, I have a tech nearby who's ready to offer my click based service. before this thread I was 90% sure I was getting the right printer, now...NOT so sure.

14. GCurtiss

GCurtiss Member

Hi Vividred,
    I am familiar with all three models you mention. The c651/751ex is the same engine (65 vs 75ppm) and it is different from the c901ga+ (90ppm) in many ways. They do share a common mechanical registration system which is top notch. The c901ga+ sold new for roughly 2x what the 651 sold for so you have to expect you would get more bang out of the 901ga+ for your buck. Imaging and solids are better, runs/auto-duplexes 350 vs 300gsm, larger more powerful RIP . The c901ga+ has a much heavier fuser to hold heat at the higher speed and run heavier stock, also does a better job on textured stocks. Should be able to get a better click rate on the 901ga+ as well. The 901 ga+ is the latest version of this machine (discontinued in 2015) the c901 was the first oil-less version of this machine replacing the older c900, the c901 is rated at the same 300 gsm as the 651/751. The uprades to this engine to make it a 901ga+ are software related and it is possible to feild upgrade a c901 to a c901ga+. Hope this helps.

15. FLPNYC

FLPNYC Member

It really depends on your main type of work you do and how many impressions you think you would be putting on it. PM me and I can help you out. I just went through the process of buying a new printer and understand what is currently being offered.

16. Remi Vaillancourt

Remi Vaillancourt New Member

Hello, I'm located in Montreal and we purchased a Ricoh C751 6 months ago. We do have the same problem that you have experience - BANDING. After some recherche we found your comment on the web. I was wondering if you have solve that problem and if so how. I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my request.

17. ArthurRox

ArthurRox New Member

I am new on Ricoh and i have been working for 10 years with zerox and canon. Feels like back to day 1

18. Gregory Williams

Gregory Williams New Member

I am experiencing a problem which is SC236. we have changed the IPU board and the YM Laser and have checked all the wire harness but no success, please advise.Thanks