Repaired Cylinders

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ajaybc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ajaybc

ajaybc Member

Hello,

We are looking to buy a used Heidelber SM 72 Press. One of the shortlisted presses have cylinders that were repaired some 10 years (the press is 24 Years old).

I was told that once the cylinders are removed from the press, even after repairs the press will not work as used to and there will be problems. Is this true???

We plan to print Paper from 60 gsm to Cardboard at 300 gsm. Please let me know if could do this on SM 72.

also could any one tell me how much power will IR Dryer take.

Thanks & Regards,

Ajay

2. gazman

gazman Senior Member

What kind of cyl repairs are u talking about? Where the cyls actually removed fom the press or wher they repared on the machine?

3. ajaybc

ajaybc Member

All we know is there were small repairs carried out, may be they were removed

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Usually if small repairs are done on the cylinders they are not removed. If the cylinders have to be removed to be repaired usually they are replaced. I have seen where cylinders are repaired outside of the press but this is a very costly and time consuming method. A special machine shop with special grinding equipment is needed. If you are concerned about the cylinder surface the best thing to do is go in with a magnetic base and dial indicator and measure the runout of the cylinder surface. If the machine is a perfector make sure you remove the impression cylinder jackets and measure the cylinder surface. This will give you a more accurate surface to measure and at the same time allow you to visually inspect the area under the jackets. Measure 6-8 different areas across the cylinder. Typically you dont want to see anything except "0" as far as runout but on a machine that is 24 years old it is unlikely that you will get that. Anything over .03 mm may cause you some print issues. Make sure you measure the bearers also. Anything other than a "0" on your bearer means you have a bent cylinder. Again you dont want anything over .03 mm. On these older machines the cylinders were made out of cast iron so it is also likely that there will be surface rust under the jackets, I would clean this area as best as possible before measuring. Impression cylinder jackets should be sealed on the operator and drive side to prevent moisture from getting under the jackets. If you take off the jackets and find no sealant was used it is likely that there will be huge amounts of rust under the jackets. Hope all this helps, any questions please post and I will respond.

5. ajaybc

ajaybc Member

Thanks for the reply Will keep this in mind when we go to take a trial on the press.
    I have another question regarding the coater. this press has a Inline coater with IR dryer and we want to do Spot UV coating.

Can we retrofit a UV Dryer after the coater? if yes could suggest any good manufacturer's
    Also is spot UV coating possible on the coater?

Thanks & Regards,

Ajay

6. Meny

Meny Senior Member

SM 72 , coater , cylinders & UV answers

CYlinder damage - i can not believe cylinders have been taken out on an old press like this - it is not cost effective even 10 years ago.
    If the damage was small - no problem at all, if it was fixed OK it will last for years, and if not , you can always redo it at low cost.

Coater - coater can do water base of UV the same , but you need a dryer to dry UV ink / coat. if your press is not built for UV , you will damage it in a short time. so it is better to get it ready (costly) or take a UV press.

If you want to print 60-30 GSm on a 72 - it is possible

If you want a good 72 press with coater , to make it ready for UV - talk to me / e-mail me , did it before a7 can help you out with a good press

Meny
    info@israel-biz.com
    +972545443004