Registration Steering Faults

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by richman, Nov 5, 2012.

1. richman

richman Senior Member

We've been getting a lot of Registration Steering faults both IB and OB. A simple [reset] does the trick, but 3-5 times per shift gets annoying after a while especially when I'm doing 10 other things at once. Any techs or ops know what causes these faults and how to fix them? And where is the registration steering motor located? Is it behind Area 2?

2. MarkD

MarkD Senior Member

Is area 2 latched fully and staying latched. The green line should be hidden by the handle and a fair bit of force is needed to open and shut the xport. The locating pin should be fully inserted into the lower xport with no gap between the two plates

If there is a gap either the lower xport has moved inboard or outboard or the latch is worn

FYI - the motor drives the outboard roll on the second set of rolls from the right. It is the only roll that turns by itself

--
    Mark

3. richman

richman Senior Member

area2_1.jpg area2_2.jpg

This is fully latched. There is just a slight space between the top & btm transports. If I push upward on the btm transport it does have a little play, not sure if that is normal or not.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks Mark.

4. MarkD

MarkD Senior Member

area2_1.jpg
    I can't see that clearly from this angle but the area circled is where the locating pin sits. There should be no gap between the lower and upper small plates at this point. The dome on the upper should be completely covered

The Gap between the registration glass and the upper mirror plate should be approx 1 - 1.5mm (If I recall without reading my manual). To close and thicker paper will catch and to large it will suffer from errors due to parralax readings

Also check that the glass is clean esp on the underside where you can't clean :) Over time a film builds up - similar to what happens to your car windscreen - which effects the readings

5. richman

richman Senior Member

Okay Mark, I now believe the main cause of our steering faults were because of the latch not being pulled tight enough by the operator. I haven't had any faults in several days after having made sure area 2 is closed tightly. Also, the underside of the glass does need to be cleaned, I assume that's what is causing our CCD pixel read faults (log only). So what you have told me is useful. Thanks for your help! Good to see a tech that takes pride in his work.