Regarding Wash Up Times

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by Jose Jacalne, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jose Jacalne

Jose Jacalne Member

Hi!

I'm new to the printing industry and would like to know what are the standard Wash-up times based on colors?
    Light to Dark = ?
    Dark to Light = ?
    Same = ?
    I would also like to know, if possible, the correct procedure of the wash-up process especially for the Dark to Light transitions.
    I want to use the data that I will get for base lining our process and to ensure that we can forecast how long will the wash-up be.

Hoping to be heard.

Thanks!

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Theres more to how long a wash-up takes than just dark to light ect. How many units? How wide is your press? How many guys doing the wash-up? Are you leaving the 4 process inks in the fountain, or are you wanting a FULL wash-up? Please give a little more info.

3. Jose Jacalne

Jose Jacalne Member

We have machines with 5 to 6 units. But we are more focused on the 6 units machine.
    We are using Heidelberg SM102 and KBA Rapida 105.
    We normally have 2 guys doing the wash-up.
    On leaving the 4 process inks, sometimes we do, but most of the time we don't leave them on the 1st 4 units.

Thank you very much for your willingness to help turbotom1052.

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

I would estimate that 2 guys doing a full wash-up to include cleaning of all 6 fountains, should be allowed at least solid half hour, if the press is equipped with automation like blanket washers and back cylinder washers. If blankets and back cylinders have to be done by hand then you need to add at least 10 minutes to do a good job. If your reusing plates then Id add another 5 to 7 minutes to do a good job of preserving the plates. If your just slapping the gum on and not smoothing them out after their gummed, then you will deal with the gum streaks with additional time in the MR when the plates are next used. If theres anyone that follows me up in suggesting that ive allowed too much time and they can do it in 15 minutes then I submit they are probably doing a pretty crappy job!!!