Reflex Blue issues

Discussion in 'Ink' started by eltitcho, Nov 26, 2012.

1. eltitcho

eltitcho Member

Hi there everyone. At the moment every time i run a reflex blue job it seems i have to get loads of ink on at the start to get the correct colour then spend the whole run turning the sweep down as it stays heavy otherwise. The colour is settled and it runs for a couple of hundred then i am constantly turning the sweep down and afterwards the dampers are covered in ink. I've gone through all the damper settings and they seem fine as it only does it on dark blues. Any ideas?

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

What machine are you running, what fount, what ink. For whatever reason it sounds like you don't have a stable ink/water emulsion before you run. There can be many reasons so a bit more info please.

YG

3. portlandjem

portlandjem Member

Yes... Reflex Blue does give those kinds of problems. I've reduced it (with tack reducer) to get it to lay down better. I think that it is just the nature of that
    particular ink to run that way, with the type of pigments they use to make it.

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

I run reflex blue all the time on many of my machines(3302 with crestlines and 9840 with pro series water system) it runs fine Fix your Chemical issue and it won't give you that problem. It sounds like you start out with way to much water thats why you are having to over ink it try and reduce your water from the get go. I bet all your reflex jobs are mottle looking am I right? Depending on the ink brand tack reducer may help you a bit but not much its mostly your water/ink ratio

5. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

reflex blue will do that. You might try seperating the inker from the dampener if possible on your press. Ive also found that a decent dose of water repellant varnish mixed in the reflex blue will help the ink from getting too waterlogged.

6. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

varn Aqua varnish #30 should help sort this out for you

7. eltitcho

eltitcho Member

thanks will try and report back