Refine jacket cracking

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by asem alsafady, Mar 15, 2018.

1. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Interesting method, so If I understand correctly you are essentially measuring laterally from the edge of the impression cylinder to the edge of the jacket on either the OS or DS and making sure the distance from edge of jacket to edge of cylinder (or whatever your measuring point is) is the same. Thanks for the explanation. I know too that sometimes even the Heidelberg pressing bar can be a bit tricky. Since its a 3 piece pressing bar its easy to get the pressure on the OS and DS the same on both the lead and tail which can also cause a crack. In my experience the SM102 jacket is the most prone to cracking due to technique for this reason. I know alot of guys that wont even attempt one without the Heidelberg pressing bars, I also know alot of guys that use letterpress furniture to knock the lead and tail in and say they have never had an issue. As long as the end result is the same, it doesnt much matter how you get there. Thanks again

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

That’s correct, Heid. Don’t think I would ever attempt an install without the jig, though. I’ve already taken out one standard by not indicating, two would surely be asking for trouble.

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Thanks for the tip

4. asem alsafady

asem alsafady Senior Member

You are great Junker
    Many thanks.

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Aw, shucks...

asem alsafady likes this.
  6. mantman

mantman Senior Member

I think exheid confirmed my suspicion that you measure from edge of jacket to edge of inner cylinder bearing right?

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

The base, or bottom, of the 45° chamfer. There's obviously other ways to go about coming up with a more true reference point, as the base of the chamfer is a little sketchy to get the tang to stop dead at, but I've found that a little downward pressure gets me the same reading 75% of the time, watching that the tang against the jacket edge is kept flush. Like I said earlier, Mantman, we've all got our own way of doing things...and like ex-heid said, as long as the means of getting there gives you an acceptable result.