Reducing start up waste.

Discussion in 'Web-Presses' started by printing.hari, Apr 30, 2010.

1. printing.hari

printing.hari Member

Hi all,
    As i shared you before, i'm working in a blanket to blanket tower type coldset web press. I'm in need of your valuable suggestion to reduce my start up waste.
    For information, our machine contains brush type dampening unit.

2. nosefo

nosefo Member

How to reduce the start up waste

If you dont have a pre-inking system (cip3/4) you should start with this. If you do have one, do a recalibration of it.

Tip 1.
    Reduce the water to a minimum before startup.

Tip 2.
    If your previus job was a heavy ink job you should try to get rid of all that extra ink in the unit before you start up the press for your next run. How you should this: Run the press in slow speed, turn off the dampening unit. You will then transfer all your ink the unit to the paper.And let the press run like this for aprox. 50 revolution.

Tip 3.
    If you do several startups for color adjustment, you should run the press as close to the production speed even when doing the adjustments. Your colors will then be more correct in the actual run. print aprox. 200 copies between each adjustment.

Tip 4. Blanket pressure adjustment/checking the blankett for failiures:
    Do this before starting your first run. Step your press with formrollers and blanket pressure on. Make sure that your blanket is printing nice.

The basic startup rule is: Start with less color than you need. It is better to increase the ink instead of decrease the ink in the unit.

3. nosefo

nosefo Member

How to reduce the start up waste

If you dont have a pre-inking system (cip3/4) you should start with this. If you do have one, do a recalibration of it.

Tip 1.
    Reduce the water to a minimum before startup.

Tip 2.
    If your previus job was a heavy ink job you should try to get rid of all that extra ink in the unit before you start up the press for your next run. How you should this: Run the press in slow speed, turn off the dampening unit. You will then transfer all your ink the unit to the paper.And let the press run like this for aprox. 50 revolution.

Tip 3.
    If you do several startups for color adjustment, you should run the press as close to the production speed even when doing the adjustments. Your colors will then be more correct in the actual run. print aprox. 200 copies between each adjustment.

Tip 4. Blanket pressure adjustment/checking the blankett for failiures:
    Do this before starting your first run. Step your press with formrollers and blanket pressure on. Make sure that your blanket is printing nice.

The basic startup rule is: Start with less color than you need. It is better to increase the ink instead of decrease the ink in the unit.

4. printing.hari

printing.hari Member

Thanks for your valuable response Mr.Nosefo, but we already have pre inking system and i tried wat you suggested. I want to run my press at slow speed while startup to reduce waste. because of the brush dampening system water is getting more in blanket and web break happened.