Recommend temperature for IR help?

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by HeidiPRO, Aug 6, 2015.

1. HeidiPRO

HeidiPRO Member

Hi all,
    can anybody confirm what the correct temperature should be set on for the IR dryer in the delivery.

We're running a XL75, our jobs vary between high coverage 5 different pantones on the sheet to lower coverage text work.

Other minders set the automatic temperature to max which is 60 deg, so the delivery is heated to about 50-52deg is this to hot for the inks and coating?

Other minders set the temperature to about 30- 35 deg, is this to low?
    My question is what is the optimum temperature to dry conventional inks and emulsion. Thanks

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

IR manufacturers have always told me that anything more than 100F (35C?) only benefits your local power utility :)

3. Steve F

Steve F Member

General rule of thumb we use:
    1st side 34-38c
    2nd side 30-34c

Running air knife 90-100% and IR 20-40%
    Many variables though...

Surprised the stacks aren't blocking at the higher temps!

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

The main tool on the IR dryer is not the temo , but the air knife.
    The heat will help cure later when it is stacked in your pile.
    too hot is no good - 35-40 deg c is good but not more.
    it is better to play with the air knife.

5. HeidiPRO

HeidiPRO Member

Yeah I thought that seem very high! No wonder our infa red lamps are starting to loose power after 5years of been heated at full whack!! I'm now setting the temp at 37 deg. Thanks all for the advice

6. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

is the press equipped with an aqueous coater? If not you can use the infrared to do all your curing at no higher than 100 fahrenheit pile temp as measured by a accurate thermometer. Id recommend a hand held infrared thermometer. The power output required on your dial is going to vary from job to job, from stock to stock, and from press speed to press speed, unless the unit is thermostat controlled. Even with a thermostat control its good to have an accurate handheld unit as a spot check. If you are aqueos coating then I would recommend 100 farenheit pile temps arrived at mostly through air knife output, with about 25 percent of the output coming from the actual infrared bulbs. Its the air knife that evacuates most of the moisture from the coating as long as your delivery is exhausting well. When backing up a job that has been coated you MUST lower your pile temp at least 5 degrees fahrenheit so as to avoid rewetting the first side coating and blocking up the load.

7. Jmiyo

Jmiyo Member

I had the same kind of issue with an xl 75, we stopped using the automatic temperature setting and move it to Manuel with the hot air at 40% and the or at 32-35%, the pile temperature varies between 30 and 32 degrees with varnish printed on both side and paper pile at 4000 sheets with paper 150gms glossy and it work quite well,we try to decrease the ir and increase the hot air to keep the pile at 30-32 degrees and still it work well