Really need help please GTO 52 Alcolor

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Davetherave, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Davetherave

Davetherave New Member

Hi Guys,

After having a GTO 52 single color press in storage for a while we decided to start it up today and get it back into service,

The press starts up for a couple of minutes then cuts out and trips a fuse, I have identified the fuse to be 'a2' in the fuse panel. When reset the same problem re-occurs and the press just cuts out again. I have included a picture.

I have tried to look for a split or cut wire which could be causing this but I have not found any obvious signs and it is really stressing me out as to what could be causing this problem.

Could someone please help me out with any ideas as to what could be causing this problem or identify what fuse 'a2' is for?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Hters

Hters Member

Turn the overload dial up.... Do not turn all the way, but small increments.

Ters.

3. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Without knowing the serial number of your machine and having the wiring diagram in front of me its very difficult to determine what A2 is doing on your machine, one thing I can tell you is its never a good idea to turn up the overload dial until you know what it goes to unless you want to start a fire. Its no different that putting in a larger fuse because you keep blowing the one thats in there.

4. Davetherave

Davetherave New Member

I was hesitant to turn up the overload for the same reason as the machine was running perfectly before and ive left that option as a last resort.
    The serial number is 708598 it is a single color gto 52 alcolor. I would appreciate if you could help me trace what fuse a2 is for so I can find the underlying problem. Thanks

5. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

A2 is the overload for the main motor. Make sure the e3 fuses are all ok and the correct fuses are in there. If all looks ok than there could be an issues with the motor relays or the main motor itself.

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

6 amp thermal for main drive? I guess if that's what the schematic says. Is it a commutator (brush shifting) motor? Maybe for pilot motor that's usually designated M2. But my schematics list its thermal as A150. Is it areal late model with the DC drive?

7. Hters

Hters Member

Not trying to cause you or the machine any damage....hence my reply to turn up in small increments. Could only be located on a dry/corroded point? And yes, I have done it before whilst in an African country, no spares available....customer's machine is down....with positive results.

Ters.

8. Davetherave

Davetherave New Member

All e3 fuses are intact.
    There does not seem to be an M2 or A150 fuse. ...
    I am guessing it is a dc drive. It is a late model with a control panel instead of just a lever.
    I am inclined to slightly increase the overload setting....

9. Hters

Hters Member

Please report back on progress?

Ters.

10. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Dave...look at your schematics.What circuit is the a2 thermal assigned to?