Ready For Higher Speed Device

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta Color Laser Printers & Copiers' started by Kimberly Osborne, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Kimberly Osborne

Kimberly Osborne New Member

Hello, I am using a KonicaMinolta C650I, and an older Lanier C5503 copier that still does great work. I have several color print jobs that are more than you want to run on a copier but not enough to go to my Ryobi digital press. What are your thoughts on the best machine, with low consumable costs?

2. jwheeler

jwheeler Senior Member

Which interface of those two machines do you prefer? Which vendor provides better service? If you like the Konica, you'll want to upgrade to the C4065 or C4070. The main difference between the 2 is speed, and the C4070 offers more paper feeding and finishing/output options (it also comes in an 80ppm version).

The Lanier is actually a Ricoh machine that was sold under the Lanier label. For the Ricoh line, you would consider the C5300 series which comes in two different speeds. Depending on your volume and project types, they may push you to get the C7200 series.

Now, you haven't provided a lot of information as far as you monthly volume that you intend to run, what types of media you run, what in-line finishing you need, etc. That could sway your decision one way or another, but it's always worth getting quotes from both vendors so you can pressure them for a better price on the machine and better rates on the service charges. If you have high volume, you may want to consider having two machines of the exact same model so you have redundancy if one goes down. These days, all of the 4 major manufacturers (Konica, Ricoh, Xerox, and Canon) make excellent machines that are very similar in quality. If they know you're getting bids from other vendors, they tend to sharpen their pencil and make the deal much more attractive. It takes some time to go through the demo and meetings with each vendor, but in the end, it could save you lots of $$ per month, so it's worth the time.

3. jwheeler

jwheeler Senior Member

BTW, I should point out that while you have a 65ppm machine from Konica, and 55ppm from Lanier/Ricoh and you said you wanted a faster machine...the C4070 and C4080 from Konica will be much faster for your work in general because they now run cover stock at full rated speed instead of slowing down to half speed. Also, 11x17 and 12x18 paper is now printed at a faster rate than your older C6501. The higher models of the Ricoh's will do that too. So you don't necessarily need to jump up to the faster C7100 series from Koncia or C9200 series from Ricoh unless you feel like you really want that faster speed. Please note, I have the C7090/C7100 from and would advise that you definitely don't get that machine. It is in it's first generation and it has been very problematic for us and many others on these forums. The C4xxx series, however, is great and is built on a reliable engine that is on it's 4th generation. KM also has the C12000 and C14000 series (120ppm and 140ppm) but that is a beast of a machine like the Ricoh C9200 series and will be very costly.