Questions from a Newbie - In my Garage Offset

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by hill_top, Aug 12, 2015.

1. hill_top

hill_top New Member

Good day everyone

This is my first post, I`ve been reading on here and find it all very fascinating

I would like to invest in a press to do a local flyer or news paper. Ive been looking at digital presses and learning as much as I can but with the large amount of older offset presses at what seems like very economical prices I would like to learn more about those also. This would be a small budget enterprise that I would like to do myself and learn as a trade

Questions:

If anyone could point me in the right direction for a 1 or 2 color(or even a 4 color) used press that would be in the under $5000 that could do news paper sized or tabloid sized news print

I was also considering another format of a colored stapled book smaller than a magazine size, hand held size.

Maybe I`m looking in the wrong places I just cant seem to find that much on offset educational material, are there any video series or book anyone here can recommend to learn the basics of offset operations. Also so I can talk the lingo here and ask more intelligent questions as I lean more.

I`m also curious of the power needed, are the presses 200volt, are there any 110volt. Do they need other machinery like compressors or vacuum pumps as support?

What temperature operating ranges do they need or is it more the ink temp range?

Thanks for your time

Learning in Canada

2. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

There is a school in Fullerton, California, USA that teaches Offset printing with a 4 color Heidelberg Speed Master, 2 color GTO, 1 color GTO, two 1 color KORDs. Operating a duplicator ABDick 8805, 375cd, 9810 w/T-51 second color head, Flexography on CtP systems printing on Mark Andy 830's and 6 color 2200. Also specialize in screen printing techniques. We have had students come from Ohio learning offset printing and going back to there shops with fresh knowledge to family members inheriting a business operating flexo shops in Mexico and learning state of the art technology to improve production methods.

3. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Are you still looking for a 2 color 9810, very clean, good condition. Making room for a windmill need to sell 2nd press.