Question regarding offset printing

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by ks69, May 25, 2012.

1. ks69

ks69 New Member

Hello,
    Im a beginner in offset printing and looking for some help.

I have been printing business almost 5 years now. We started as a printing agency. Today we have digital printing equipment. But still most of the turnover comes from offset print jobs that we order from varios print mills and sell to clients.

My question is that how do i calculate print cost with offset printing machine? I ask it because i would like to do little calculation that could we earn some extra if we buy our own machinery?
    All i know is the price of paper. But what about print plates (if you call them this way in english), paint, maintenance cost of machine etc.

best regards
    Kaupo

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi. Yes we call them print plates, but we call ink - ink, not paint, as it is "Chernila, ne kraska" in you understand Russian :)
    to my best understanding, here how it works:
    1) You have cost of the plates made and installed on the press and aligned with ink keys set and press ready to run - this called makeready.
    2) Than cost of the press run, usually per 1000 impressions
    3) Than cost of media / paper.
    I worked with printer who had a 14x20 RYOBI 5 color with Aqueous coater, he charged me a $120 for makeready, $80 per 1000 sheets for 80# paper or $120 for 12pt cover.
    The makeready cost consist of plates (about $2-4 per per plate), time, materials, platemaking equipment usage/depreciation cost, cost of the time spent preparing the press to run the job+profit.
    Run cost included cost of paper+cost of using press+cost of the pressman's time+profit. It could wary if you running 1-2-4 or more color press, if some specialty stock needs to be run slow - it will more expensive, if in-line coater is used - AQ or UV - it may affect the price of running.
    This is an example of running one job maximum sheet size. If you, for example put 9 different post cards on that sheet, divide Makeready+running cost by between 9 jobs, that will be the cost of each individual job.
    Lets put this in the numbers... say we print 9 orders of 5000 different cards...
    MR 120 + (run 120 x 5) = $720 so each order cost $80
    All numbers may wary - if you want calculate your cost of production - you need to know things like:
    Start with size of press you think yo can buy...
    Cost of plates for that size of the press for the type of platemaking system type you want to get.
    Cost of running platemaking system (chemicals, time/labor)
    Cost of running the press (maintenance contract or average cost of owning / using similar press - you should consult with someone who already has similar press)
    Labor costs etc.
    I am sure I did not cover all of it, perhaps other guys could fill in....

3. onlinegraphics

onlinegraphics New Member

We are also best offset printing company in India provide printing services with best printing technology
    hope to get latest updates from this forums.

4. ks69

ks69 New Member

Thanks a lot. Yes i understan and speak a little russian.
    I think you covered most of my questions. If i will be stuck somewhere then i write here again. Thanks again!

Best regards,
    Kaupo

5. offset005

offset005 Member

Hi
    Printing cost depend what kind job is going to be print.
    1-cost of designing.
    2- cost of plates which will used in job.
    3-cost of printing machine.
    4-cost of folding.
    5-cost of cutting.
    6-cost of binding.
    7-cost of packing.
    8-cost of labour.
    9-cost of delivery.

MR UnlimitedBT expalin u good by giving example.

6. Joe Duffy

Joe Duffy Senior Member

and what about profit and overhead????

7. DCGWest

DCGWest New Member

Hi

I guess this calculator can help you in calculating the INK YIELD which can further help you in calculating the offset printing cost.
    http://www.gansink.com/calc.asp

Thanks

8. ChrisManor

ChrisManor New Member

Awesome print yield calculator, thanks

9. Barry Lukumai

Barry Lukumai New Member

I have the same question, is there any software/ program which can easy this process of making calculation...?

10. Abhi

Abhi Member

Rates also vary by geography.
    I know printers in India who print a CMYK 4 col 28"x40" job by charging USD30 for make ready including plates. And print charge of USD10-12 per 1000 sheets with a minimum print charge for 2500 sheets.

And you should factor in regulatory costs which might be imposed in your area.