QMDI - Replacing Ink Fountain Roller

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by mightyandy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

We've came across an potentially unusual problem.

The ink fountain roller on PU1 stopped sweeping, we removed the guard (opperator side) and noticed the 16mm shaft where the clutch bearing sits was damaged.

The previous owner must have repaired this shaft as the clutch bearing was biting as it should, however inbetween the bearing and the shaft is a 16mm metal sleeve which is actually spinning ontop of the narrower shaft.

So now we are faced with the problem of replacing the entire shaft but we didn't want to do anything before seeking advice as there seems to be water running up the inside?

I assumed using a spanner I would remove the hoses going into the brass thing branded "deublin" and try and replace the roller and brass fitting at the same time to prevent me breaking any seals, or is it easy to remove and reconnect the brass piece on the end of the roller without causing leaks while under pressure?

Im sorry if my explination of whats happening is hard to follow
    but I'd appreciate any advice
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

the brass thing is connectected to a piece of blank metal this blank metal piece together with the brass thing can be seperated from the fountan roller. Switch off the machine before unscrewing and keep some towels by hand.

Heidelberg has a replacement kit for the fountainroller with a 32 mm shaft instead off 16 mm.

3. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

Thanks for the reply I phoned someone who is breaking a QMDI Classic, he said that he had two 32mm Shafts and two 16mm ones.

However the 32mm ones are off PU3 & PU4, are they all interchangable? or do I have to buy one from someones PU1

Also if you don't mind me asking how do you seperate the metal piece from the fountain roller?
    (I saw in a previous post Paul saying people damage internal discs by unscrewing the 5mm allen bolts and don't want to damage anything)

4. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

For the 32 mm type you also have to change the motor that drives the stroke of the fountanroller and therefore you have to drill new holes in the frame the motor and the fountanrollers are the same for all colors but the new holes are in different positions and therefore heidelberg supplies a stencil. The easiest way for you is to install the 16 mm type.

The blank piece shaft is screwed in the end of the fountain roller and can be losened with a spanner look at the two flattened areas on the shaft.

5. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

Thanks very much for all the info Marc, I think for now we'll try get another 16mm shaft and possibly down the line if/when we experience more problems upgrade them to the 32mm ones

6. qmdipress1

qmdipress1 WWW.QMDIPRESS.COM

Yes the 32 mm roller and parts.... actually the roller is the same and the parts are different than 2,3,4 units........ the first unit strokes in the oppitsite direction.....

7. qmdipress1

I have both sizes available if needed....

8. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

thanks anthony,

pm me with a price you would need for either size

also estimate shipping to uk?

thanks
    andy

9. qmdipress1

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Member

Hi,
    I think you have visited us in the past. We have all spare parts available just give me a call. Thanks Steve
    Digipressfinder 05601 123056