Qmdi Problem with diodes 1 and 11

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by bru1965, Jan 31, 2014.

1. bru1965

bru1965 New Member

HELP!
    I have a problem with diodes on unit 4
    Diodes 1 and 11 will not burn
    I have cleaned the glass and can't seem to find a break in it
    I have changed the diodes still not working
    No board error showing
    Thanks
    Bruce

2. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

It may be the control stage for the diode not working? your diodes you replaced may still be good.

3. bru1965

bru1965 New Member

Yes def not diodes may be a board or perhaps a loom?

4. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

an easy way to check the board is just to swap one from another unit and burn plate. if problem moves to other unit, it would be in the board.

5. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

We are having a little different laser issue. We had to replace our Black laser unit as our operator cracked the glass on the original one. (We have a "Plus"parts press that we steal from. We calibrated it with 60% screen but are constantly adjusting laser density on 3 to 4 lasers on this unit. It will not hold calibration from job to job. Before this happened, we did not have to adjust lasers hardly ever.

6. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

You have to replace the complete laserunit, the glass you broke is not from an individual laser.

7. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

We replaced the entire Laser Unit. We had a local x-heidelberg mechanic do it as he had the gauges. We then spent countless hours setting the zone offsets and densities as we did not have that information from the parts press. After setting densities using the 60% screen it will look good for a job or two then we are back to chasing diode densities on the next several jobs.

8. Marc Bremer

Ok, tought you only replaced 1 diode. Do you have air in the system. Deviation in temperature wil influence the power of the diode.

9. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

We will work on that. If there was air in the system would it only affect the black unit? Wouldn't we see fluctuations in the other 3-units as well

10. Marc Bremer

On the 'Classic' model the tubes were in serie and on a 'Plus' I tought the changed it to parralel. Do you change always the same diode's. Do you have to apply more power every time to them.

11. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

Ok,
    My operator gave me his list of when he made recent diode adjustments here it is:
    Cyan Unit:
    01/05/14 #2 diode -2
    01/06/14 #2 diode -2
    01/08/14 #2 diode -5
    01/08/14 #2 diode -5 (another)
    01/08/14 #2 diode -3
    01/24/14 #2 diode -2
    01/24/14 #15 diode -2
    01/24/14 #2 diode -2
    01/24/14 #15 diode -4

Black Unit:
    01/08/14 #7 diode +5
    01/22/14 #7 diode -5
    01/22/14 #9 diode -4
    01/23/14 #8 diode -2
    01/23/14 #9 diode +1
    01/23/14 #12 diode +1

12. Marc Bremer

You sad trouble's on black after replacement but most correction are done on Cyan diode 2. On black diode 7 +5, -5 is a total correction of 0. Diode 9 corrected -4 andthe other day his neighbour is corrected -2. This doesn't look weird to me. Do you always use the 60 percent screen to adjust are do you look at the job you are running. What screenruling do you print (150 , 175 or 200 lpi)

13. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

marc,
    I know cyan has been adjusted more recently but it's because of the nature of the forms we have been printing.
    This morning we had a job with 20% black only tint across the sheet and had to make adjustments to 3-zones on the black.
    We end up adjusting to the job most of the time because we can calibrate to the 60% but on a live job with lighter values the zones be obviously different and so goes the chasing zones.....We did add water this afternoon and bled the lines. 1-1/2 bars off and about 4-bars turned on. It did seen like we had some air in the system so we'll see how that helps tomorrow.

14. ronrogers

ronrogers Member

We are using 150-line