QMDI Classic Keeps Stopping

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by erictheprint, Feb 28, 2013.

1. erictheprint

erictheprint Member

QMDI CLASSIC PROBLEM Have a problem with machine on run when printing or not printing.
    The machine stops dead the extraction fans come on for a second and everything goes off then between zero and 30 seconds later the machine control panel lights come back on and the extraction fans come on as if a just switched the press on.

when machine starts up faults on sf62 and SF56 have cleared.

Also when machine stopped with power on the extraction fans kick in occasionally. I dont use them as develop plates by hand and they are switched off is there a way to switch fans off completely? I think it may be this causing problem.

Many Thanks Eric Hyde

2. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

Did you have checked the X7 connector (bottom one from the PCB on the lefthand side from the right door off the electric cabinet).

3. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

Marc is more then likely correct in his evaluation of the problem. Anytime the console shuts off and the fans come on you have a 24v short somewhere (One of the blue wires). Typically this particular issue is from the X7 plug no longer having good contact on the SVK board.

The worst one I ever had was when the wires on the second unit for the ink ductor solenoid had worn through from touching the oscillator roller cam every time it moved in and out. Intermittently the press would shut off everytime the roller cam hit the exposed wire. Finally found it by turning off all the lights in the room and seeing the spark.

4. espasprinter

espasprinter Member

I've got the same problem in my QMDI. It's kind of irritating because u never know when the machine will shut down and restart (with the fans running and that...). Sometimes it happens in the middle of the imaging, sometimes when you've been printing for several hours... there's not a certain rule.

At the moment, we fix it cleaning the X7 plugs with a contact cleaner spray and restarting everything again. Sometimes it needs 1 minute, other times a little bit more...

I agree that the problem is the X7 plug, but I've noticed that the electric cabinet that holds the SVK board is very warm, even hot. Is it normal or this fact can increase the chances of having problems with the X7 Plug?.

5. erictheprint

erictheprint Member

Hi
    I have soldered the ac red leads direct to back of board so no problem with contact had a problem with transformer connections not being tight as well. Dont know if high temperature would cause a problem . Its not something we often suffer with in the UK!!

Regards

Eric Hyde

6. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

The cabinet starts to show electrical issues if the outside temperature of the doors get above 114F. Typically the machine does not cut off when this happens but random imaging issues start to happen.

7. espasprinter

espasprinter Member

We finally found a solution for this, or at least, temporaly but we havent had this problem in the last 3 months.

As we all said, the problem is the X7 connector and we saw that the wires that enter in the connector, were too tight with several "plastic clamps" along its length. I don't know if that clamps were original from Heidelberg or the last owner of the machine put them but we cut the clamps, leaving the wires more "free" and they could enter better in the connector, and it worked. No more problems about this in the last months.

Hope that this can help anyone else ;).

8. Leonard Enterprises

Leonard Enterprises Member

Please give us a call at (401)438-8802, we would be glad to help you try to resolve your issues

Service Tech
    Christopher DaSilva
    18 Laura Street
    East Providence, RI 02914
    Email: chrisdasilva@emaillpt.com
    Shop: (401)438-8802
    Cell: (401)261-5764
    Fax: (401)438-0099