QM 46-4: Setting form stripes on No. 1 unit

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Deadspread4, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Deadspread4

Deadspread4 Member

I am currently trying to adjust the form and distribution stripes on the No.1 unit of my QM 46-4. The owners manual shows the layout and adjustment screw colors for units 2-4, but not the first unit. The rollers were removed from the press for cleaning witch threw it off adjustment to the point where I wasn't even getting a stripe on one of my forms. Assuming the layout was the same as the other units we attempted to make the adjustments ourself, and ended up worsening the situation. Im not sure if there is an order to which you need to adjust the ink train in order get the correct settings, but the owners manual instructions are making me pull my hair out. I have a technician coming in, but i would like to do it myself if anyone has any words of encouragement.

2. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

This should help:
    1. Roller settings (See Pg. 122 Fig. 15 in the operator’s manual). Spread light color ink onto ink roller. Idle press to smooth. Stop press and remove rollers 6, 7 and 8 for settings 2nd form to oscillator. Set forms to oscillators before setting forms to plate. Turn adjusting screws counter clockwise for wider stripe on all settings. Exception, item m. below roller 4 to oscillator B is clockwise for wider.
    a. Yellow screw - 1st ink form roller to oscillator B 3.5 - 4 mm.
    b. Blue screw - 2nd form roller to oscillator A 3.5 - 4 mm.
    c. Red screw - 3rd form roller to oscillator A 3.5 - 4 mm.
    d. If roller 7 has fixing screw on operator side through roller shaft, follow steps e.- m. If roller 7 does not have fixing screw, follow steps i.- m.
    e. Install roller 7. Tighten screws (pin to operator side.)
    f. Check stripes with rollers engaged to plate between roller 7 and form rollers 1 and 2. Adjust so that the stripe between roller 7 and foam roller 1 is the same as the stripe between roller 7 and form roller 2. Stripes should be same width (fig. 17/1 p. 124 in operator’s manual).
    Turning clockwise makes stripe to form roller 2 wide and to form roller 1 narrow.
    g. Adjust roller 7 so that there is a 3.5 - 4 mm stripe between both form rollers 1 and 2. (fig. 17/2 p. 124 in operator’s manual). Turning clockwise makes both stripes narrow.
    h. Remove roller 7.
    i. Install rollers 6, 7 and 8. Stripes from rollers 6 to oscillator B and roller 8 to oscillator A are preset from factory.
    j. Violet screw - form roller 2 to plate 3 mm
    k. Orange screw - form roller 1 to plate 3 mm
    l. Silver screw - form roller 3 to plate 2.5 mm
    m. Roller 4 to oscillators B and C 3.5 - 4 mm

3. Deadspread4

Deadspread4 Member

thanks, ill give it a try tomorrow morning, and hopefully i can cancel that technician visit. Are you familiar with the other units being different, or can i use those exact instructions for units 2-4?

4. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

They are the same.......
    Regards.

5. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

The units are identical as Mr Heidelberg mentioned although the first unit is in reverse of the rest of them. As for the technician. Is not a bad idea to have one come out and go through your ink train. There are many issues that can be going on you may not be aware of that can cause print related problems if you are not experienced with the mechanical aspects of the ink train.

Just a suggestion...

6. Deadspread4

Deadspread4 Member

So we had a technician come in yesterday, and he checked all four unit for us. The 1st unit is now set right, but the 3rd and 4th units seem to be out of adjustment now. We were getting a black tinting on the edges of stock on the operator side, and slight magenta on the non-operator side. Now the operator side is clean, and we have a magenta and yellow tinting on the non operator side. We dropped the form rollers to check our stripe and both seem to be out of adjustment. After we get some pressing jobs completed we are going attempt to set the 3rd and 4th again and hope we can get it done ourselves. If Not I think the technician owes us a return visit. Any other cause for such a specific tinting on the edges of stock