PUR, Smythe, what other options?

Discussion in 'Book Binding' started by BillO, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BillO

BillO Member

I'm looking at samples of PUR (glue) bound hardcover books and smythe sewn books. What other options are there?

Are there any advantages of the PUR bound books to smythe sewn books? The smythe sewn lay flatter and open much easier - is the only advantage of PUR a lower cost per book?

2. printgal

printgal Member

The PUR bound is lower cost but less durable. If your book is going to be used quite a lot then Smythe Sewn is the way to go.

3. BillO

BillO Member

Thanks printgal. I don't like the fact that the PUR glued bound book doesn't open very easily/fully.
    I'm not sure if extra bleed would be provided to compensate for the poor visibility of the page in the gutter of the PUR bound book.
    Smythe seems the way to go.

Are there any other common hard bound binding options out there right now other than PUR or Smythe Sewn?

4. printgal

printgal Member

The standard adhesive casebound and the smythe sewn are the only options for what you are describing. If you had something along the lines of a cookbook or a journal you could look at a concealed wire-o but I'm understanding something in the coffetable book is what you are doing. Good luck with your project, I hope I was of help to you.

5. BillO

BillO Member

Thanks again. I thought for the hundreds of years books have been around there would be more different ways of binding them available - I guess things have consolidated to the best. I'll go for smythe sewn. Thanks very much for the advice.

6. midwestbookbinder

midwestbookbinder New Member

Hi BillO-
    I just found this thread and so don't know if you are still seeking information. My company can offer PUR case binding, Smyth sewn and also a few other options- depending on your specs- such as reinforced library side sewn, and Double Fan Adhesive. If you'd like to reach me directly, please email Martin ........ mpugh@houchenbindery.com www.houchenbindery.com

7. BillO

BillO Member

Thank you very much Martin. Looking at your website now and glad to have the link to add to my bookmarks.

If I could trouble you further, could you give me a quick summary of the advantages of reinforced library side sewn and double fan adhesive - when they are used/preferred typically? (or is there a diagram of what they are exactly) I have a smyth sewn and a PUR bound book in my hand so I know what they look and feel like exactly now.

Trying to educate myself on what all the options are. Thanks in advance.

8. midwestbookbinder

midwestbookbinder New Member

Bill-
    I break it down as follows-
    -Smyth sewn requires binding of 16 page signatures as it is sewing "through the fold"- or even 32 pagers
    You can smyth sew coated paper or uncoated papers.
    -Side sewn binding sews "through the side" about 1/4" in from the spine edge. It works well for book thicknesses
    up to about 3/8" and we can side sew through single sheet stacks (from digital print streams) or folded signatures.
    Again, coated or uncoated papers are OK- limitation is the thickness.
    - Double Fan adhesive uses a poly vinyl acetate glue (PVA) which is a durable and flexible glue. I do however,
    recommend it for usage on uncoated papers ( and for thicknesses from 1/4" to 2-7/8") This method has minimal gutter loss and lays flat very nicely in each spread.
    This leaves us (or you) with situations where a book block is too thick to side sew or on coated paper. The best option
    at this point is then PUR Case perfect binding. Although I mention it last- it is a very good solution and definitely,
    not the last choice. We can PUR case perfect thickness from about 3/16" up to 2.5" and will work with folded
    signatures or single sheet stacks.
    Feel free to call me Monday at the bindery now that you have my number! :) MP

9. winlxb

winlxb Previous User

Hi, we have Automatic sewing machine, which can be help you,
    for detail, pls visit our website: www.kylinmachinery.com

10. BillO

BillO Member

Thank you again for the excellent explanation. Also glad to have your contact info for the future. Thanks.

11. BillO

BillO Member

Are your machines different than smythe sewn then? What sewing style do users of your machines offer and what is the benefit over smyth machines?

12. icanmakebooks

icanmakebooks New Member

There is also another way for hardcover books, handstiching with thread on the back