Problems feeding thick paper on QMDI

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by espasprinter, Apr 2, 2013.

1. espasprinter

espasprinter Member

Hi everybody.

I really would appreciate help with this. I've got several problems to feed thick paper (250-300-315 grs.) in my QMDI.

I follow all the instructions that appears in the manual book: height pile almost in the maximum, 8 and 8 values in the feeding buttons... but I have always the same problem: the machine feeds 7-8 sheets, stops feeding but the machine continues rolling... so I think that it is a height pile problem but I don't know how to fix it. I follow the instructions!

Doing a job of 100-200 sheets of thick paper is a real problem with this.

Any help from an experimented user, please?, thanks in advance!!

2. Risu

Risu Senior Member

Open the side cover and check that the vacuum hose not leaking.
    Do it feed correctly and constant when idling?

3. Marc Bremer

Marc Bremer Senior Member

Can be to much play on the bar that measures hight of the pile (can be felt by hand if there is to much play). Another thing can be a firmware upgrade (latest version solved problems due to problems you have mentioned)

4. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

If you use SF69 during the run on your console you will be able to watch what the pile is doing during the run. This shows the 11B2 sensor status which is responsible for monitoring the pile height. If it reads "DEEP" your sensor may need adjustment or the pile height bar may have a broken roll pin. When everything is working correctly it should read "GOOD" during the run.

Also check the air compressor under the feeder and make sure the air lines have not blown off.

5. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

When we encountered this problem it was down to the angle of our pile board. The incorrect combination of spacers and bearings where used on the vertical rails which the board runs up and down on.

This caused the pile board to sit at the incorrect angle which also meant the Sucker bar was no longer at a 90 Degree angle to the pile board. Once we fixed the angle of our table it has resolved all our issues.

Although this is unlikely to be your problem, hopefully it will help someone.

6. Britishprinter

Britishprinter Member

Hi
    I had a similar problem on thick wove card. Turned the two sheet sensor to the middle position ie off and ran a treat. Was a problem with the making of the card which wasn't uniform throughout the stack.
    Didn't show any codes but definitely was the cause of our problem. Hope this helps.

7. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

Surely if the problem was the doubles detector the press wouldn't keep running? The press should only continue to run if the pile is too low

8. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

We run into the problem shortly after our press was installed. And like all problems the installation guy had left already. we figured out that if we took a medium size rubberband and hooked it around the side of the pile height bar and to the magnet bracket for the door cover above (one on each side) that we were able to run the thicker stock. This was a clear indication that the pile height bar needed adjusted. it was a small adjustment, however it took me two or three tries before I had it set correctly for both thin and thick stock. It was easy enough to do , I just had to be patient enough to work with it. I had it in about 15-20 minutes.

9. espasprinter

espasprinter Member

Hi again. Thanks to all for your replies. You really helped me.

The vacuum hose was ok and also the tube, so I thought that the problem was in the position of the paper.

The final solution was the height pile, it was always or too high or too low, so checking it with SF69 helped me a lot. Another important thing that helped me was to separate a little bit the rear stops from the paper, not touching it, so the paper was more "free" and if feed better.

10. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

mightyandy , Thanks for this tip ! I had been trying to help a fellow friend out with his machine across the state. Using the telephone and a few pictures we were able to narrow it down to the angle of the pile board. We had been going through step by step checking all settings which were ok, however I had not thaught about the angle of the board. After reading your post here , I passed on the suggestion to check it. The angle was off by a few degrees this prevented him from being able to run heavy weight paper through the machine.....

11. Leonard Enterprises

Leonard Enterprises Member

Please give us a call at (401)438-8802, we would be glad to help you try to resolve your issues

Service Tech
    Christopher DaSilva
    18 Laura Street
    East Providence, RI 02914
    Email: chrisdasilva@emaillpt.com
    Shop: (401)438-8802
    Cell: (401)261-5764
    Fax: (401)438-0099