Problem with Fiery on C3200

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by azv, Dec 15, 2010.

1. azv

azv Member

I am having a problem with the fiery on my C3200. I am using Win Vista and when I go to print I can print using the PCL driver with no problems. If I try to print from the PS3 driver it never receives the document and my print screen on my comp just says error. The 3200 will flash receiving a couple of times but then doesnt do anything else. I have went to Canon site and reinstalled different versions of PS3. I like to use the PS3 as it sometimes matches color better than the PCL. Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

What app are you printing from? Does it now not print from any application using the postscript driver? (e.g. can you try printing a pdf from adobe acrobat reader or another app vs. what you usually use.)

If you look at the printed job list in fiery command workstation, do you see the non-printing jobs as 0 KB on the RIP?

3. azv

azv Member

99% of the time I print pdf's and the non-printing files never show up on the workstation.

4. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I have been lucky and haven't had to troubleshoot the fiery rips here much at all so I'll have to let someone else jump in.

I use CorelDraw some and have experienced an intermittent issue where sometimes corel will send bad output to the postscript driver which ends up going through the printer spool but then showing up as a 0kb unknown job in the printed jobs list. Sometimes it will do it repeatedly until I close the print dialogue and then hit print again; other times it will do one like that and then be fine with the next print click. So I was hoping that maybe it was an app oddity maybe caused by an auto update or such.

A silly question, but to rule out something silly, does the same print issue exist printing from another computer to the same fiery?

Are the ps and pcl drivers pointing to the exact same standard tcp/ip printer port?

And the error you get doesn't include any info at all other than the word error?

5. azv

azv Member

Yeah, I have the same issue from both computers. On my computer print screen hit just says error nothing else. On the 3200 it just flashes like two or three times and says receiving like its going to get the file and print and then it just quits and doesnt show anything else.

As for the second question, I am not sure on that. Should they be pointing to the same ip port? I will look at it. I have limited knowledge in this area.

I bought this printer in April and it had a new fiery put on it when I bought it. Both drivers worked for quite awhile. Then only the PS driver would work and not the pcl driver. Then I deleted all of them and reinstalled and since then only the pcl driver has worked. Thanks

6. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

If you have the same issue from multiple computers printing to the same fiery then scratch my question regarding the printer port settings. I was wondering if something was up on the local machine printer port.

If you print the settings page from the fiery rip itself, does it list an update corresponding to when the problem developed?

7. LarryS

LarryS New Member

I use a Mac with OS X 10.6.7. I have not been able to print to my Canon imagePASS-C1 IR C3200 with the Fiery.
    Has anyone had success with OS X 10.6.7

8. newworldmfp

newworldmfp New Member

if the pcl driver is working, this is not uncommon from a 'print' point of view, there are many instances where you have to revert to the pcl driver - even as such to revert back to pcl5e to get some things to print. have you tried a universal driver? or perhaps switching to machine with built in fiery such as a sharp mfp or lexmark mfp which both have equal color matching capabilities up to and including pantone matching. you can also try changing the print language the post script is using. but with cannon and fiery - well good luck :)

9. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Jeff regards your Coreldraw issue do you send as level 3 or level 2 - For years I've sent as level 2 for this type of reason, also autoincrease flatness or too complex an item will drop out - Alternatively in printer properties for the Fiery it is also possible to go into preferences, postscript and set to level 2.

For the Canon issue my first question would be from printer properties can you print a test page using ps driver-if not ideally try another driver, can you get past that?

Also you could set up a port 3 ways, I prefer to set the port ip the same but give it a different name one perhaps with hold and one with print and 3rd with say "raw" then set the same name "print" or "hold" and checkmark lpr in printer, properties, ports, the 3rd one try with a port setting of raw which is a direct print and faster than lpr. If you use 3 different port names it shows in the printers as 3 separate printers. A trick you can also use to create b/w & color printers of the same printer.

I had issues when updating computers and ethernet switch to Gigabit, initially everything seemed to work with the Cat5 wiring which was made to length in the shop but after a few months issues developed akin to your problems and I found buying prebuilt category 6 wiring resolved the issue, if you have moved to Gigabit, you can test this by buying 2 lengths of Cat 6 wire, 1 to ethernet switch and 1 to Fiery. In this type of case the PCL probably is getting through because the files are smaller but the postscript may develop enough bad packets to loose the job. Of course even if you are only running 100mb testing with a couple new wires can't hurt. Unfortunately as well sometimes it is a ethernet card - years ago we had a bad one in a Doc12, trouble is they seem to go bad bit by bit, not 100% so some minor data might get through but major stuff develops issues. I believe you can also set network card speed on the Fiery so you might also try setting a slower speed to see if the problem is resolved in which case you then need to figure which component - car or wiring is at fault.

Ken

10. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Thanks Ken. I haven't thought too much about this as it's been one of those minor inconveniences. The same thing happens when printing from coreldraw to either the canon or the xerox, both with fiery controllers, so I still think it's a random corel issue. But I should give the network another look to be sure. Cable is currently cat5e not cat6 and is running through a 24-port netgear gigabit switch. I would have thought that doing things like large backups or 30-40 GB file copies over the same switch/general cabling would be showing errors too if the network were at fault, but maybe the print operation is less tolerant of any glitches causing the intermittent 0kb "unknown" jobs to show up on the fiery rips. I will see if I can put a cat6 test cable and a different switch in place to know for sure. Thanks for the idea to take another look.

11. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Mine is also a Netgear 24-port gigabit switch, but with Category 6 pre-built wiring and using the Postcript level 2 setting in the postscript section of Coreldraw those files process that sometimes give hiccups when set to postscript level 3.

I have a few Corel Print defaults saved (printstyle - save as) one called ps2-cropmarks and ps2-nocropmarks, ps3-cropmarks, ps3-nocropmarks so when in print dialogue I select one of those, all these have included "autoincrease Flatness" (postscript tab) as if you convert artwork to vectors and the item has too many nodes in 1 path it will simply drop out of print but with autoincrease flatness it will but will simplify slightly and print. And crop marks ALWAYS print as C100,M100,Y100,K100 even if off the paper sheet unless you happen to be printing Grey scale.

If you still have issues after that I would suggest trying a different network card within the computer even if you have a network card built on to the motherboard. you might also want to time a large file transfer and see if its faster getting across due to not having so many error corrections.

Ken

12. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I had the issue printing from both a windows 7 and a windows vista computer to two different fiery RIPs. So I thought it might be the Netgear gigabit switch as something common in the middle. I wanted to upgrade anyway as I was wanting jumbo frames support for transferring large files between workstations, so I upgraded to an HP Procurve 1800-24G switch which is a nicer switch in general. I thought it solved it, but then it happened again just now, so it's not the switch either. It doesn't happen often enough that it's easy to track down. Next will be to get some brand new cat6 cables, although it happens infrequently enough I'll probably wait until I have to run new cable anyway when I get a new machine.

13. k_graham

k_graham Senior Member

Gigabit takes good cables - not just the cables but more important, the ends, unless you have some sort of tester, if running bulk cable I would suggest mounting Female connectors on the wall and going the last few feet with prebuilt.

Ken