Printmaster 46-2 envelopes and timing

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by banjoman, Aug 2, 2011.

1. banjoman

banjoman Member

I have been trying to find the best way to run #10 envelopes through this Heidelberg Printmaster 46-2. I decided to try them landscape with the JustFeed envelope feeder that came with the press. I can't even get 1 envelope to the impression grippers. It picks it up and feeds into the wheels then stops short of getting to the gripper. I put in the small format wheels and adjusted them several times, it doesn't work. Tried the bigger suckers, every combination of vaccuum and air, I wonder if the timing is off? Well it feeds paper pretty good so I don't know, any suggestions? I have seen some video of them running wide open online, not this machine! I'll take an AB Dick over this hands down! Thank Goodness for BEER!

Thanks, banjomaniac

2. banjoman

banjoman Member

I may have figured out what is causing the problem, the shaft that turns the small format feed wheel doesn't have enough pressure to turn when the envelope is near the bend to get in the grippers, the roller stops. I can rotate it with my finger and it has very light drag so whatever turns this roller is what I need to look into. I can see the gear in the cut out of the lower plate turn so what that meshes with maybe is not right?

banjomaniac

3. STW100

STW100 Senior Member

The small format wheels are driven on the OS and the sheet arrival is on the non-opp side. You must use the small format wheels to feed #10 landscape. Without them the shortest sheet is 5.5" with them just under 4". zero out circum at delivery & sheet arrival. Make sure main wheels are lifting off at 9.2 to 9.6 deg. Install small format wheels, set press to 100 deg, tear a strip of envelope and check eash small format wheel individualy. set a light drag using then add a 1/4 turn CCW. With the just feed sys, make sure you are locking off the shock on the feed board (meaning it cant go down) the bail bar hits too hard and you need the stack to be firm

4. STW100

STW100 Senior Member

Roger, my website is comming slowly but some info is up. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    IPSQM46.com Stan

5. rossio

rossio Senior Member

Had same problems, than placed a pack of 10-12 old envelopes (taped) of same material as to print under.
    no more problems, best results. Every year about 250.000 envelopes...

6. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

use a rubber band to hold up the bail bar...#10s at 10k an hour aLL day long