printing white thermography

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by invite, Aug 15, 2010.

1. invite

invite New Member

i have a customer who needs white thermography on a dark card, which until now i have never done, and dont seem to get enough coverage on it - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - didnt think it was going to be so difficult. thanks!

2. Data

Data Senior Member

I take it you can see the black card through the print? Are you using an opaque white ink?

3. invite

invite New Member

yes opaque white rubber base - any suggestions?

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

try using a non rubber base ink. I have seen that work but then again i don't run thermograph at my shop just a suggestion

5. Data

Data Senior Member

I never got on with rubber based inks. Try a tinting medium or a slightly reduced opaque white.

6. StewartMultiTasking

StewartMultiTasking New Member

When I was younger we did tons of thermo work on wedding stationery etc. When doing colours other than white or metallic you use a neutral (cream looking powder) for metallics and white you need to get Gold or silver or in your case a white powder, tinting medium will make it worse.

7. printerdan

printerdan Member

Done it maybe twice in 5 years.
    Make sure you get every trace of that white powder out of the device afterwards!
    I think we typically put as much ink down as possible, catch the sheets out of the press (delivery), pour on the powder (via a sheet of folded chipboard) than hand toss it onto the belt.
    PITA

8. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Print it with minimal ink without thermography and re-run max ink with thermography for the second time. If your reg is good should be ok. It's been a while since I've done thermography but I did all sort of tricks back in the days.

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

double hit of the opaque white is your friend when looking for max opacity!!!

10. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Try this - print white as max density you can, then print same plate with transparent ink and what printerDan suggests