Printing solutions

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by cardiacholdings, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cardiacholdings

cardiacholdings New Member

Several months ago I posted on here about changing our practice of out scouring our printing requirements for magazines and other commercial stationary.

At the time It seemed more feasible to stay in this business model after a bit of research, however things have changed and we now are at the stages as our products increase to bring it in house as our range of products has increased.

We now require the following;
    • Full colour high gloss magazines
    • Small paperback books (new product)
    • Business Cards and related business stationary

The idea of purchasing an existing printer is at the forefront, but as we have increased warehouse size recent we have a lot of spare space.
    What is the minimum equipment we would need and general staffing needs

I would like to if possible move into hardback books.

2. cardiacholdings

Would a Xerox DocuColor 5000AP be suitable?

3. cardiacholdings

Scrub that I have managed to find a Heidelberg NexPress 2100 within budget 4 color would that be suitable for the printing side of the operation for magazines, books, business cards etc?

4. archipelago

archipelago Senior Member

I would love to have a nexpress. It's a nice unit from the output I've had printed on one (have not run one myself however.) One concern is how tight is your deadline for the magazines? If you get started with one printer only, will a maintenance event or major problem hurt you in a big way with your deadline?

5. archipelago

archipelago Senior Member

Also what is the circulation / how many pages and copies of the magazine you will be printing and how frequently will it come out? Obviously a solution like a nexpress is ideal if you'll be doing shorter runs under 1500.