Printing Metallic Gold or Silver Waterless.

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by aqazi81, Oct 6, 2012.

1. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Is there any way to print metallic gold or silver waterless on a printing unit?

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

a short answer - NO

A longer answer - Not on your presses
    I can give you a full answer if you need one , but you will not be able to do waterless printing on your presses in their current state.

My question is - WHY ?
    Why do you want waterless ?

Meny

3. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

we have got an order for a job with very rich gold strips in it. The earlier printer who was printing this job was printing with a flexo plate... Is it possible on a conventional printing unit?
    We will soon have a 5+coater press next month...... so any ideas?

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

you can get high level / quality of metalized ink using acrilic gold / silver with a poly plate on a coater
    It is possible to modify a printing unit to take a poly plate and use it as if it was a dry offset unit or a coater , bit it will cost you time & money and at the end of the day it will work in this direction bit not any more as a regular printing unit...so for one job.....

This kind of job should be done on the right tools - wait untill you get your 5 color+ coater.
    Do bare in mind , it will require a learning curve - it is not an instant jon for an offset printer.

Doing it right (you can always do it wrong or half way) will demand testing the press for plate spec as sizes on cylinder are not like with an offset plate , special materials , plates made to size , spec and ...all this costs money.

If it is a once in a life time job..... take all this in to calculation - not sure if it is worth it

Meny

5. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Meny, Can you give me a bit more detail about printing it through coating unit? What type of ink do i need and poly plates....if I m not wrong these are polyester plates.

6. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Yes i can help

But not over this website
    Poly = Flexo
    Contact me via e-mail for additional information

Meny
    menybor@yahoo.com

7. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Meny you just sounded like this website as well as it's members is not good enough to discuss/read this topic.... Hmmmm

8. Meny

Meny Senior Member

That's not the issue at all :)

That is not ther issue,

I do have my reasons to move the next info to a quite root and not in the open.
    I will be happy to explain why - by e-mail , not here in the open...

Over the years i wrote alot in this website , and never questions - only answers & good information , and all for poeple i never knew / met , so i am not looking to keep any information out of someones eyes.....

Meny
    menybor@yahoo.com

9. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

I agree with UnlimitedBT. The topic should be open to everyone...

10. Meny

Meny Senior Member

well . i don't

Some times i advise in the open , some times i don't.
    This time , i don't

I am willing to supply the requested answers to the issue , but not in the open forum.

good luck

11. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

If you can't give advice in the forum, then what's the point of the forum?

It's for everyone to learn, not a platform for one person to make a sale or otherwise on the back of someone else's difficulties.

12. Meny

Meny Senior Member

I agree with the need of a forum like this and the proof is the 300+ answers i have answered on this forum to help poeple.
    Some poeple just suck and suck and suck and take from all and never give anything back to no one , so in some cases i want to make sure they anderstand the value of what they get , and that can not be done over this web site.

I am willing to help and answer anyone , i have got the time & knowledge , but some will have to pay for that knowledge while other get it for free.

As it is me handing out my knowledge and doing it on my time..... i may agree/disagree with you and still do what i think is right.

I had answered some people on this web site as long as 30000 words..... yes , 30000 writen words , and did not get a simple "thank you" or any other word..... so i will not help them again unless they understand the value...

You may think i am wrong , that's fine , but i can answer some in the open and some in privat , and this way some will gain knowledge for free , and others get the value of what they pay for.

It is me at the keyboard & controlls in this case ...sorry

13. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

I and many others have given advice but we don't expect to get paid for it, it's a forum for people to get advice from the collective knowledge of others.

If you want to get financial gain, then set up a company for that very purpose.

Maybe the forum owners should charge you a percentage discount for providing you the database for any advice you gain a financial profit from?

Fair?

14. Meny

Meny Senior Member

I will take it biond your idea....

I am willing & happy to donate 100% of what he pays to any good deed , or even to make this forum a better place.
    This is not for the money , it is so poeple who think when you help them it is due to the fact that you owe them ... and they will never hekp anyone elss.
    I am happy to take money from them and give it away.

Would you like to monitor the cash box and find good deeds for the money ?
    95% of users will get my advise & support for free.
    The last 5% , i am willing to ask them to pay in to your account...

Fair ? :)

15. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

No thanks, I am not in this for any kind of profit.

16. Meny

Meny Senior Member

I did not say it is for your profit , but i will let you be the one to donate it - what ever you think is right
    Just so i am not counted to be the one who wants money for his advise.

I the real world , not the web , i do charge for my time as much as 250$/hour in some cases , less in others.
    I don't need this money , but in some cases poeple who do not pay for what they get tend to act as if you owe them.... and you become the bad guy when you do not support them.
    It is OK for them to take your advise and make money with it , but it is wrong for them to help others as they do not want competition or will not bother for others.

I have helped one person on this very web site some years back and he saved over 100000 $ on my sole word & advise. I feel good with it , and need nothing from him nor asked a thing.

I will stop here.
    Would rather use the time to help others.
    the subject is clear with me and i am light hearted.
    If anyone elss wants the solution to that question asked above - he is more then welcome to contact me and get the answers for free :)

17. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

It's not my website, so I could never get involved.

18. Meny

Meny Senior Member

I rest my case
    The unique technology i could supply him with will not become part of this web site

Thank you for responding
    Have a nice day

Meny

19. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

Printing gold or silver through a coating unit involves using water based varnish that contains metal flecks applied via apoly relief plate. It is quite commonly used for high end confectionery/drinks/pharma packaging. The trick to success is the anilox cell constuction in terms of lines per inch and the linking of the cells dependant on your varnish and the size of the metal flecks. Obviously they should fit in a cell. It's not that much different from coating normally, but it is definitely more difficult, everything must be set spot on interms of pressures, roller contact etc. It can be done UV but this tends to tarnish and isn't as bright.
    YG

20. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Mt friend

Please note we are talking about doing a job in Pakistan , not in the UK , Germany or Belgium
    The terms are not that simple , the Flexo plates not that common and not that high rez . and the knowledge is rather low.
    The whole issue was to get the same result WITHOUT the chsanging of the accurate Anilox rollers , Flexo plates and special coatings as when a customer comes in to do an odd job...... getting all the needed stuff & knowledge in place for that odd job is not rational.

An other solution is available , and a very good (yet cheap) one