Printing Issues With Used HP Z3100PS GP

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by nagaco, Dec 23, 2013.

1. nagaco

nagaco Member

HI, got a good deal on a low use HP Z3100PS GP, howver, after cleaning the nozzles a few times, my test image is sporatic and missing parts.

Some problems are on the last test after the 4-5 cleaning, its not printing 4 of the test swatches, and the lines on the left are mostly missing.

I have prints 3, 4, 5, and it seems to be getting worse. Even though the heads say they are ok, I am tempted to replace the ones that wont' print an acceptable test image.

So I'll post 3, 4, and 5 for you to see what I am saying.

Also another question, what happens when you do a purge? It said it would take a long time to do it, so are you purging the ink in the lines?

Also, how long can the ink last for past its expiration, and if its flashing in the levels, should it be replaced, even though there is 2/3 left?

Thanks and look forward to seeing about fixing the problems.

Chris W.

Attached Files:

2. Scorotron

Scorotron Member

I would start with the printheads of the offending colors

3. nagaco

nagaco Member

Thanks, some other questions are:

1. How long should I keep expired ink? Should it be thrown out if expired, or used until gone?
    2. How does the purge process work? Will it drain whatever ink is in the feeder system? Any instructions for doing that?
    3. All the print heads are expired, after replacing the problem ones, should I replace the rest, or just do them all at one time?

thanks in advance, appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

4. nagaco

nagaco Member

Question, people selling expired print heads, even back to 2007 on ebay. Should I avoid these or are they ok to use?

5. Scorotron

Scorotron Member

If they are all expired I would buy a whole set of print heads and just replace as needed, you will need them sooner or later. Stay away from expired products. If you have expired ink, try using it. but I would not willingly purchase expired supplies.

6. nagaco

nagaco Member

Thanks!

7. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi, as far expired printheads - I don't think those should have a problems as far as ink - be careful, we used to buy expired ink for our epson a few times and it worked out fine but they were just couple month past due...
    Your printheads a most likely bad but not in the sense that printer can detect, i.e. - there are no electronic malfunction within the head, most likely numerous clogs from the printer being standing inked up for prolonged period of time. Once you replaced the heads, it should be fine.
    There is program that cost $34, I saw it on one of the wideformat printing forums, that can be programmed to print simple color grid user defined period of time i.e. everyday, twice a day, every week whatever which should prohibit ink drying... Or you can just remember to print something every other day.

8. nagaco

nagaco Member

Thank you so much for that, anywhere i might look for that program, or a name? That would be helpful, great idea!

9. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

10. nagaco

nagaco Member

Quick note, replaced all print heads and it looks great. Maybe 3 white dots on the "MK" thin bars, though the area with the thin lines for "E" is all gray, with white lines, is that normal?