Printing 4x6 UV Cotated Flyers

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by UrFavSigma, Aug 9, 2013.

1. UrFavSigma

UrFavSigma New Member

I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to printing and printers so please excuse my ignorance. I currently run a small media company. I do photography, video, and graphic design. I want to add a printing service to my company within the next couple of months. But I really just want to print 4x6 flyers on card stock and business cards (mainly for club promoters).

I did a search on here before making a thread. In thread I saw some people saying it isn't cheap to buy a printer that does that type of printing. An old colleague of mine recently started doing the type of printing I want to do. I know FOR A FACT he has a very very very SMALL budget. He doesnt want me to know what type of printer he has or anything. The only thing I know is that he is renting it from somewhere.

What type of printer do I need and where can I rent one from?

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Yeah, he is quietly outsourcing it and makes it look extra mysterious.

3. UrFavSigma

UrFavSigma New Member

Nah, I've actually seen the printer on his Instagram page when he advertised his services. I just don't know what it is.

4. kettycool

kettycool New Member

You can find one that best suits you over here, rolanddga.com/products/printers/
    they have wide range of printers for short to medium run and with the actual price and the lease price as well.

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Yeah, someone sticking a unrelated sales pitch never gets old. Question to Kettycool: so which one of the printers on that website prints 4x6 UV coated flyers? The one of 36" inch wide or perhaps 60" wide is better suited for printing 4x6 inches postcards? is there a wide format roland printed that can print both sides? Because you know, majority of postcards/flyers are 2 sided these days... Oh and which one can UV coat? Because if was mentioned in original question...

6. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

A stand alone uv coater alone is going to cost $20,000 to $30,000 if you are sure they are uv coated and not simply printed on kromekote c2s. You can short run 4x6 postcards on small printers. BUT the finish isn't as consistent as uv coated after printing. The heavy stock is hard on the feeding and small printers usually run heavy stock slowly. Printers capable of 16pt that you can get with outsourced postcards are higher cost right now. In addition to the printer you'll also need a guillotine to cut them and cut the bleeds off - add $5,000 to $10,000 for one that is heavy enough to hold up over time. When you count the time it takes and cost per print compared to outsourcing, any quantity over 1,000 doesn't make $ unless you need ASAP and can't wait a week to outsource them.

7. Datum Print

Datum Print New Member

Haven't heard about it. Legit?