Printing 4 color on 2 color machine.. need help.

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by coricdado, Oct 29, 2019.

1. coricdado

coricdado Senior Member

Hello guys..
    Im new in classic offset printing. i have 2 color KBA Rapida and i need to switch to this machine.. i know how everything work.. but.. i have problem with color density.. i have experience working on 4color watherless machine.. heid. di.. but it hard to get real color on 2color machine..
    because i dont know how need to look first two color.. i dont have densitometer.. but even if i have.. i dont know will be usefull because i work with small number of copy.. 300, 500.. rarely 1000 (i know you will tell me now that these are not offset quantities... but...)
    how to get good color on finish with 2color machine?

any help?

thx a lot.

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

You should at least get a densitometer and maybe a Matchprint proof.

3. jwheeler

jwheeler Member

You are going to waste alot of money on setup sheets, time and plates if you're regularly running these quantities in 4C on a 2C press. I'd highly recommend looking into a low-end digital press from Xerox, Canon, Ricoh or Konica Minolta. You can lease a decent one for around $400-500/month on a 60mo lease (and this will include a densitometer which you need either way). This will allow your to produce your jobs faster also save on the costs of your washup chemicals, blankets, towels, etc.

Alternatively, you can start with outsourcing to trade printers like 4Over, GotPrint, or someone local. You're going to lose money doing 300-500 offset.

4. mantman

mantman Senior Member

Try to use a colorbar whenever possible and use your PMS book swatches of CMYK that should get you as fast as you can. Also see if you can buy a ink preseting program like presspercent. Please PM me to ask you about waterless printing

5. Travis Young

Travis Young Member

I'll second that. Color bars across the bottom of the sheet and a pms book.
    Conventional press, conventional technique.
    Might pay to run a test plate with some 25, 50 and 75% screens and simply adjust your image setter to 'close enough by eye'
    I always find it easier to achieve both colour and fit if I print 1 up wherever possible, especially for short runs.

6. Travis Young

Travis Young Member

Keep all your spoils and use them to settle down the colour on the next job. That's a big help as well.