printer For 5-Color Business Card

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by intensebluestudio, Jul 28, 2009.

1. intensebluestudio

intensebluestudio New Member

I own a small jewelry business and am looking for a printer that can print in 5 colors. My partner, an expert in photoshop, indesign and all the adobe products desiogned the card..however, I want silver instead of a grey that looks like silver. Wanted ot discuss the possibility of laying out the entire csard in silver with a black overlay to know if that will produce a metallic effect on the black. Does anyone know of a five color business card company i cancontact on the net? Please email me directly at wendy@intensebluestudio.com. Btw...I will be using my logo to produce all sorts of things from tags for my jewelry, to bags and leather pouches to put it in so it really needs to start out perfectly.
    Thanks,
    Wendy

2. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Hi Wendy

Silver or any metallic ink printed on traditional ivory or silk boards always tend to lose their metallic effect ie they will look grey - especially if you matt laminate them to protect the surface. It would help to see a screenshot of your logo, perhaps you can attach it to your next post?

If you want a highly metallic effect you could gloss laminate the card especially if you ask for gloss board too (make sure you ask for a slightly heavier weight than the silk eg 350gm silk is 'bulkier' than 350gm gloss, they both weigh the same but the gloss will feel thinner).

More metallic still? MetalFX or LiquidFoil inks have more metallic particles than standard silver/golds.

More metallic still? The traditional metallic foil may be the way to go - although it doesn't lend it self to intricate logos with CMYK integrated. You can get nice effects by matt laminating the card then foiling on top. The process is platen and block based so the costs are higher than straight 5 col work.

If you want to know more or if you're UK based you can contact me via pm.

Co-incidentally we are about to produce a CMYK + Silver card tomorrow.