Printer Can't Accurately Fold Proof?

Discussion in 'Folders' started by jonsweaver, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jonsweaver

jonsweaver New Member

Hello - I'm interested in opinions about business standards. I've received a folded proof from a web press that is a mess. The project uses a broadside accordion fold, flat 34x21, finished 4.25x10.5. The proof that was sent is .25" short in the height and width, and the panels are a variety of widths not 4.25". I marked up the proof and sent it back, asking for an accurately folded proof. I'm really concerned that the content lines up with the folds as precisely as possible. I've always thought that a proof is a demonstration of the printer's ability to do the job right.

The printer just emailed me asking me to approve the job and promising that they will do the job right, BUT that they cannot provide an accurately folded proof because of the proofing paper. I guess they want me to trust them. In 20 years I've never worked with a printer, esp on a project with a complex fold, that could not provide a well folded proof. But maybe with instant proofing and online ordering the industry has changed. Is this professional behavior? It's a big company - should I just trust them?

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

It is common to use inkjet proofs now which are on inkjet coated proofing paper and thus not the same weight or foldability of the final press printed piece. The unfolded proof should have accurate color and dimensions.
    I would have the printer specify the exact fold line dimensions from one side of the sheet to the other, and then verify that the content on the proof they supply is right on for these fold line dimensions. And then I would trust them to fold it according to the fold dimensions for each panel that they provide. If they don't follow the dimensions they provide taking into account their knowledge of their folding abilities and tolerances needed, they would have to redo the job.

3. jonsweaver

jonsweaver New Member

Thanks xfactor - what you described is what I expected, but they say they can't provide that. Seems strange to me, but I didn't want to assume anything in this ever-changing business.