Print Quality Issues IR 5185 w/ H1 RIP

Discussion in 'Canon Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by JaneBo, May 7, 2009.

1. JaneBo

JaneBo New Member

Does anyone else have an IR 5185 with a H1 controller? If so, do you have the following problem?
    For the past 9 months our copier has experienced poor color quality, toner spatter and heavy font issues. The work-around for the color/spatter issue was to copy a profile from a 3220 copier and use that on the 5185.
    However, the fonts still print about 1/2 point heavier/bolder than all other devices in our office. The problem with this is that the heaviness of the font actually changes the font characteristics in some cases. It happens when using PCL as well as PS drivers.
    Colors also print darker because it seems to add additional black toner to everything.

It is also important to note the the issue occurs on Canon's own config and PS test pages.

Tech Support says that all 5185s have these quality issues - specifically that the fonts print darker/heavier. "Its just the way it is".... "there's nothing else tech support can do"....We "shouldn't compare the 5185 to other devices".
    Can anyone out there support this claim?

Thanks

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. JaneBo

JaneBo New Member

Correction: 5185 has H1

I'm really looking for anyone who can confirm that their 5185 with H1 controller has the same or similar issues.

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

No experience with the 5185 (I wanted to get one but they didn't think it would be a good idea because of increased service time requirements and my difficult location). I take it that any line art prints darker/thicker as well? Does it affect all colors or just black? What happens if you go to print quality and decrease the black density on the machine itself?

4. JaneBo

JaneBo New Member

I have had it print colors bolder as well but black is most noticable. Line art also prints heavier. Decreasing black density just makes everything less black but it will still be 1/2 point bolder than it should be (in our opinion). Its hard not to compare the 5185 results with the IR 3220 or the color laserjets we have in the office.

5. JaneBo

JaneBo New Member

Problem solved by Replacing Laser

After having this issue since October 2008, the culprit turned out to be the laser that writes to the drum. Tech support was here this morning to try that "one last thing". Just wanted to let you know our problem has been solved.
    It was not a driver issue or an H1 issue. We're back to default settings on PCL and PS drivers. No blasting or thick fonts.
    Thanks Todd and Lee for hanging in there!

6. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

Thank you very much for posting the followup for others who find this thread at a later date.