Print drivers from within a virtual machine

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Networking, and Connectivity' started by xpquickprint, Jan 13, 2010.

1. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

I'm thinking of my next workstation - if I choose an os for performance before print drivers are available, can I run another version of windows within a virtual machine to still have workable print drivers? How well do network printer drivers work from within a virtual machine? For example, if I run a 32-bit version of vista within Microsoft's free Virtual PC within a 64-bit Windows 7 main operating system, will there be any issues with print drivers printing to network printers from the vista virtual machine? (sorry if that sounds a bit of a ramble, I hope you get what I mean in asking the question)

2. xpquickprint

xpquickprint Senior Member

Or I guess what I'm thinking of is now called "Windows XP mode" in windows virtual pc http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
    Has anyone used this?
    Do I need a seperate xp license still to do this, or is it included for free with windows 7 professional and ultimate?
    Any network print driver issues installing the older 32-bit drivers on the xp mode virtual pc within the host 64-bit os?

3. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

No, you get the XP mode 32-bit license within the windows virtual PC the for free when you buy windows 7 pro.
    The will work fine. You can see and print to network printers without any issue from within the VM just the same as you set their drivers up on a standalone os.