Print cost

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by LOUSPARK, Jun 27, 2017.

1. LOUSPARK

LOUSPARK Member

I need to print about 20-80k 40-page A5 stapled brochures a month. With my small budget of £20k and small work space I'm considering a used Ryobi 3304 (recommendations welcome). I'm currently paying a printer about £0.16p per brochure and was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to do this in-house.

I know there's so many variables and other expenses but could I get some ballpark ink and plate costs for e.g. CMYK high coverage of A4 or yield per ink?

I was even considering digital like a Xerox J75-V80 but quality just isn't there.

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

By my rough conversion £0.16p is about $0.20 US per 40-page A5 brochure. Running 2-up against current click rates meaning 5 duplex 12x18 sheets, that would be really tough to achieve (probably not possible.)

Going to in-house offset for the firs time, if you are not happy with the general quality of a new J75 machine's digital print I don't think a 3304 will cut it for you on print quality.

junker1984 likes this.
  3. LOUSPARK

LOUSPARK Member

Thanks,
    Hmm, resolution and sharpness isn't really an issue, but solid colors without banding/ghosting like you get with most digital printers (Xerox) is.

4. obi

obi Member

Paper based on 150 gsm is around £6.25 / thousand a4, if we base costings on 20,000 copies you need 200,000 a4

Paper cost - £6.25 x 200k sheets £1250
    Plates - say £10 per set x 10 sets £100
    Ink - hard one to work out but ideally just factor a tin of cmyk per 20k Imps, £9 per tin x 200k imps - £360

So all this comes to £1710

Now running Time, I'm gonna say 6k imps / hour, and 35 mins per makeready.

10x make readys - 6 hrs
    200k impressions - 33 hrs
    Extra lost time here and there - 4 hrs
    43 hrs x £10 per hour wages ( no one will work for this so it's very low) - £430

Then bindary, you can farm this out for around £550 ( I assume you won't have the money to buy a stitching line )

Plus you have to factor in spare parts, engineer visits for breakdowns , electric, wages for the plate maker if it's not gonna be the same person as the printer.

So to sum up -

Material cost

Wages

Bindary

£2690 + other running costs to factor in

Your buy price £3200

vastanali and LOUSPARK like this.
  5. LOUSPARK

LOUSPARK Member

Thanks so much that's great information to give me a head start. Obi I've had a quick look for paper and ink prices and the cheapest I've found is about £25 for 1000 sheets A4 and e.g. £30 for a 1lb tin of process magenta. Could you point me to a supplier for good priced ink and paper?

6. obi

obi Member

Pm me I might be able to do the job at a better price

7. obi

obi Member

Can 20k on 150 gloss self cover £2875. Let me know if you need anymore info

8. obi

obi Member

If you want to insist in going through with this venture I have a five colour gto 52 I can to you. Immaculate machine can do it for your budget