Pressroom temperature for Alcolor?

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by m_alatorre, Jun 6, 2008.

1. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a temperature you MOST keep in pressroom to operate an Alcolor press? Right now im at 86 and water distribution on the plate is very unstable.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. 5150pressman

5150pressman Senior Member

What is the temperature in your water tank??? If your water is not cool that also causes a problem.

3. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

Water is 59. I've tried with water less cold and did not work better. should i go colder?

4. 5150pressman

What is the unstable problem you are having??

5. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

We've always aimed for 9 degress c / 48 f as being the optimum temp for alcohol based founts.

6. somma

somma Member

Hi,

I think that you water tank is too warm, you must keep the temperature of your water tank to 8 / 10 degress C.
    Do you have this problems with all tower units? If you increse the printing speed this problem go out?

7. 640 Pressman

640 Pressman Member

Good question.

8. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

It's really wierd. In unit 1, i set all rollers according to manual(i think) and get a stripe of water(2.5" wide) in the plate. If i use less water, the rest of plate gets ink and if i use more water, the plate cleans but that area(the 2.5 inch) is ruined by water noses. It looks like if water was dropping in the inking unit at some point, but can't see any. Water form roller is new and the rest of them are in average condition. The unit two does something similar but in the oposite way... all the plate cleans but a small part of the plate(1 inch or so) starts getting ink(because lack of water). Same probelm at diferent speeds.

Need new rollers? a problem with the rollers attached to the machine? Mechanical? never seen this in convetional dampening before.(this is an alcolor GTO52) I just hope it doesn't need new pressman :(

9. 640 Pressman

640 Pressman Member

I'm not sure if the GTO's setting are the same but the 74 & 102 roller settings are, 3 mm to the plate and 4 mm to the oscillators on the inkers. The water form should be 5 to the plate and 6 to the oscillators.

You might not be metering down right either. Meter down the pan roller on both sides until heavy water is gone on both sides. then give it another 1/4 turn (15 minutes) on the dial.

Make sure your Z roller settings are correct too. You might want to run de-integrated.

If your not metered down right you will end up to wet on the end and the water will creep in and eventually get so wet it will sling water drops off your plate cylinder onto the blanket. If your that out of shape your probably having emulsification problems too.

10. 640 Pressman

640 Pressman Member

PS,

If your pressman doesn't know how to set rollers have a demostrater come in and train him.

11. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

What are the condition of the matt chromes like ?

Regards.

12. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Unless specs have changed, the chrome fount and oscillator are shiny not matt, MrH.

But usually they remain in good condition (unless they've been knocked about) for the life of the press. In twenty years we only had one press with the chrome lifting away, due to corrosion under the plated layer. Problem with matt chromes is that they wear to a shine over time. (IMO)

13. 5150pressman

Isn't the oscillator roller under the form roller matte???

14. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Are you running a L420? Are you saying your oscillator is matt?

Komorimatic specs do change, geared ungeared, rider roller, no rider.

Komori vary the spec according to different market requirements, but I haven't heard of one with matt oscillators before.

15. 5150pressman

I'm responding to the alcolor damps. When I ran a GTO with Alcolors. It had a matte oscs roller.

The lithrone has chrome roller for the oscs roller.

16. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

You know what..I must be going senile.

I've confused this with another similar thread re: damp :D

I'll go quietly ;)

17. 5150pressman

All the fumes from the solvents must have gotten to you.:D:p

18. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

I think my problem is I've been drinking the alcohol, not putting in the fount!;)

19. 5150pressman

A lot of pressrooms are alcohol free now. No more drunken pressmens. :D

20. m_alatorre

m_alatorre Senior Member

Hi,
    I just check the oscillator... and it is matte. I'm not an expert on matte rollers(or in any other roller area) but this one looks still matte and not shiny. Also it does not have any sign of wear in the problem area(looks kinda new)

I'm trying right now to check roller by roller if they contact evenly. Took all out, and now will start with water form and oscillator. I disconected them by means of the adjustment screws and i'll try to bring them together little by little ans see results and then repeat same steps with z roller against water form and last with 1 ink form yellow.

Any more ideas very wellcome.... going crazy with this mean machine!!!

Thanks