Power issue

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by Jerrycmyk56, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Jerrycmyk56

Jerrycmyk56 New Member

I recently acquired an old ab dick 360 to run envelopes and business cards. I got an operating manual as well. When I plug it in and operate the controls it buzzes and then throws the circuit breaker. Also the vacuum pump doesn't turn on. I did however see the press operate when I went to pick it up. I did a lot of research and it seemed that this site has the most knowledgeable members. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jerry.

2. Jerrycmyk56

Jerrycmyk56 New Member

Anyone? I got it to operate for a split second yesterday and then it stopped, I was so frustrated that I didn't remember the exact "sequence". With that said, there shouldn't necessarily be a sequence to get the motor to run or the vacuum pump, correct? Please help!

3. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

The machines I work on are three phase, so I'm really unclear as to the power requirements for this ABDick, but it sounds like (if it requires 230V single phase) you've lost a leg, meaning you should have two hots and a ground going into the press.

4. Jerrycmyk56

Jerrycmyk56 New Member

Junker, thanks for the reply. I had the same thoughts. I wondered if it was at least 220v single phase. But it's not. It's 120v ac @ 60hz duty. It's got a 120v plug as well as a badge inside the circuit box. I'm starting to wonder if it has a start capacitor that's failed. It's just frustrating because I saw it operate when I went to pick it up. Then a couple hour drive and now this. I guess it's time to pull the sides and break out the multimeter.

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Amperage?

6. Jerrycmyk56

Jerrycmyk56 New Member

Doesn't say on the badge which was kind of frustrating. The vacuum pump and drive motor are driven on the same circuit. Don't know if it's series or parallel yet.

7. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Look at motor tag and compressor motor tag. Add a bit more for your control circuit and sprayer/lighting. If you're plugged in to a 15A circuit, I'd expect you'd have issues. Have you posted your issue on printcities.com? There are small press techs monitoring that site, if it's still active.