Poor toner adhesion to stocks

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by wagsgraphx, Feb 12, 2016.

1. wagsgraphx

wagsgraphx Member

I currently run an 800 color press and an iGen4 (matte finish). I am disappointed at how poorly the the toner adheres to the paper on the iGen4. We run a lot of 100# silk and gloss cover stock. I have tried Pacesetter, UDigital & Endurance. You can scratch it off with your finger. The 800 has excellent adhesion and we were expecting the same from the iGen4. This is a new machine and service has rebuilt the entire fuser. Is his normal for the iGen4?

2. MarkD

MarkD Senior Member

SOme stocks are worse than other tbh. Make sure the fuser is in spec (contact arc, temperaures, well serviced etc) 100# is approx 170gsm isn't it? (Sorry only know UK GSM :) ).

The higher temperatures for an iGen cut in at 180gsm and gloss.

Set the paper stock to 190gsm and Gloss stock. This will fuse the stock at a higher temperature without slowing down production

3. wagsgraphx

wagsgraphx Member

Everything is in spec and messing with the GSM settings isn't helping. The only thing that has helped the adhesion is switching the stock to Endurance. Still not as good as the 800's adhesion.

4. CargoPantsMan

CargoPantsMan Senior Member

I get issues with toner fusing as well on heavy weights, particularly dull/silk/velvet coats. Usually on the second print side.

One trick, that only makes a modicum of sense, that I learned from the hotline is to start tanking your transfer/detack values for the stock in question. Something about residual charge on the stock makes it less able to fuse. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also ready to start charting the phase of the moon with these issues.

5. bipe

bipe Member

Hey,
    You can also try to adjust thickness for that specific paper, sometimes heavy stocks will "suck" the heat out of the fuser, and when it print side 2, the fuser is'nt hot enough.

go to your stock library at your PSIP, click twice, on the media that fails, and adjust thickness in there, maximum is 500.
    and be sure it is set to gloss if it is gloss.

It worked here, on our iGen150, and maybe worth the try

Sorry for my english :)

6. Swifty2

Swifty2 Senior Member

try XPI paper we run mattes/ silk in enhanced image mode

7. Neko2

Neko2 Member

Get some sample packs from your paper vendor and see if anything works better?
    I've had luck with Blazer from Verso. It's a bargain stock but runs well.