Poor ink transfer on textured paper

Discussion in 'HP Indigo Digital Presses' started by birdbybird, May 31, 2017.

1. birdbybird

birdbybird New Member

Hi, first, I'm a designer looking for help troubleshooting issues with digital printing.

I purchased a bunch of paper samples from Mohawk and Neenah - smooth, eggshell and cotton papers. The printer I'm working with uses an HP Indigo digital press. All the smooth paper samples look great but anything with the slightest texture gets a spotty, mottled kind of look. The printer said it's just the nature of using textured papers on a digital press but that logic didn't add up to me. I called Mohawk and they said this shouldn't be happening but couldn't really give solid advice without seeing my samples and knowing the printer settings. The thing is, this has happened with other printers too and they all tend to say the same thing. But why would companies like Mohawk and Neenah make these beautiful textured papers FOR digital press if they didn't work on digital press.

You can see the samples in the attached two images, one on smooth surface and the other on eggshell to see what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have any insight? I want to troubleshoot this with the printer without offending them.

Attached Files:

2. birdbybird

birdbybird New Member

bump. anyone?

3. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

What is the weight of the samples? 80# 100#, cover or text etc...? Most cases a new substrate profile should be made for each.
    But for samples we can sometimes use a existing one that's close if only a few sample sheets. Also the blanket may be new and they don't want to damage it. If they need to run a full image 13x19 sheet you'll see a paper line in the copy once you run enough 12x18 or smaller cover stock sheets. Does not take much. They can also add some pressure in the substrate file. Measure actual thickness and subtract a little. This will put more squeeze on the sheet. If the textured sheet is blotchy looking it may be hard to get a nice even print. Uneven thickness in different spots on the sheets. You'd need to possibly use excessive pressure. And last most printers are a little negative towards running samples. If it's not a house sheet or one they know runs well it's a crap shoot not matter if it's a digital approved sheet or not. Normally digital sheets with some texture will print nice and smooth. But without the sheets in my hands it's hard to say what the exact deal is. I know for a fact that Mohawk has a HP indigo they run samples on. So maybe start with them. They should be able to offer better advice and perhaps some tips getting that particular sheet to look good.

4. member 17759

member 17759 Member

Maybe you maight first print and second embossing for sheet

5. birdbybird

birdbybird New Member

Than you for this info. It's really helpful.

The paper weights are 100# cover. Do you know the best place to contact Mohawk about the samples? I couldn't find any info on their site about that. That sounds like a great solution.

6. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Sending you a pm.

7. charlie wishon

charlie wishon Member

you need more printing pressure...
    those substrates require extra pressure. fancy textured paper needs
    alot of pressure