polar 78x

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by peter kett, Sep 3, 2014.

1. peter kett

peter kett New Member

Memory bank fault (240)
    my machine is 2005 cause of fault was flat battery on the main mother board.
    these batterys last no more than 10 years. Heidelberg change them every 5 years.
    if like mine the battery goes flat you loose ALL your programes and settings.
    I now have a spare battery bought from RS Componants £8.00. Polar spare £68.27.

2. Coloured paper

Coloured paper Senior Member

Hi Peter!

You are absolutely correct. The official life time for this battery is five years. And a local electrician can easily replace the battery. Just do not place the electronic board on the iron table of the cutter. This would create a short circuit and may break the board.
    If you replace the battery in the moment it is off, you lose all cutting programs, you have to scan every morning the reference point, maybe the machine starts with a different language, etc.. This is why Heidelberg changes the battery earlier.

The price is nice …… But even Heidelberg employees are hungry.

And there is another step we have to tell the users of this forum. After replacing the battery they have to initialize the two memory banks. This is easy as well, no question. But it depends a bit on the software version in the machine. Mostly it is enough just to go to the program survey and finish with the button “DELETE” and “ENTER”. The same should be done with the second memory board.

You see that's why Heidelberg cost more. The service engineers gets training courses and the battery is on stock - hopefully :)

Good luck

Coloured paper

3. peter kett

peter kett New Member

One last question, if the battery is 5 years old and still working and replaced does the board have a capacitor which retains all information for a very brief time while the battery is replaced ??

4. Coloured paper

Coloured paper Senior Member

Hi Peter!

A precise answer would be mostly. It depends on the type on the board, the type of the capacitor and the way you touch the board. Nearly all boards are okay.
    There was a small amount of boards (maybe 50) which had a capacitor but the wrong way arround. As far as we know all this boards where replaced on warranty. This is approximately 15 years ago.
    I have a very dry skin. Some people should not touch electronic boards with the hands anyway. If you prepare everything in advance, you place the board on an electrically not conducting surface and just change the two little plugs, everything should work out okay.
    I would say 99.9% of all time a quick change should not be a problem.

Coloured paper

5. peter kett

peter kett New Member

Thank You very much.
    in 5 years time I will put this to the test.