pm 52 feeding problem

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by tim enigma, Mar 25, 2011.

1. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

My appologies, the settings for SM/PM52 that I gave you are incorrect. The settings I gave you are for SM74. The correct setting is .6-.9mm, The setting process is the same. Set head stops to 8mm, put sheet in headstops and tape it to feed board. Move head stops forward and the lights on feeder MID should shut off between .6 - .9mm. Of course make sure feeder is on when checking and make sure safety button on feeder panel is also on. Make sure head stops have completed their movement tword feeder.

2. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

thanks for the correction. hopefuly i will get to the shop this week to try this out. thanks again
    tim

3. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

so i checked the eyes today, the ds goes out at 8.69 and the os goes out at 8.79 so they are a little off. when i checked feed head to feed table is where i still have a concern. when i set the forwarding wheels to 10mm from knurled knob to wheel block, the feed wheel will not even contact the forwarding bar. and at the point where the forwarding suckers let go there is about 4 mm space between the forwarding wheels and bar not 1. possibly need new wheels but does this also mean out of time? thanks again for all your help. i owe you a beer.
    tim

4. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

To me, it sounds like the forwarding wheels are not being set properly. To do this, inch the machine with feeder on until the forwarding wheels are at their lowest position. At this point unlock the knurled nut from its lock nut. Back them both off until you have visual clearance between the knurled nut and the aluminum block. Then turn the knurled nut back tword the block until you just can get .10mm (.004") between nut and block, check between the nut and block with feeler on front, back, and each side of knurled nut. Then reset feeder head timing to feeder. Forwarding suckers need to drop the sheet as the forwarding wheels are coming down on the shaft with a 1mm clearance. This adjustment is made via the sloted holes at the end of the drive shaft behind the door on the drive side. If you still have an issue with timing, than possibly there is a cam follower going out or some other mechanical issue. SM52 feeders are very forgiving, Ive seen them run wide open with some settings not even close.

5. tim enigma

tim enigma Senior Member

oh ok i see where i was doing it wrong. i have decided that i am going to leave every thing pretty much as is. the press ran book stock @130000 per hour and no problems. it still does not like heaver stock. timing is still all over the place while running it but not as bad. but this press never seemed to like heaver stocks even when new. i will check feedhead to table once more now that i see where i went wrong. thanks again for all your help. you rock.
    tim

6. Tdj_81

Tdj_81 Member

You might want check the hose inside the
    Feed head might be it 8mm black hose but thats just
    A guess check the manual if ya taking the cover off cause the
    Break easy.

7. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

We had a CD installed that was giving all kinds of feeding problems, tried about 5 different mechanics, eventually it turned out that the eyes were loose.

Something to consider maybe...

8. jmt

jmt Senior Member

we are starting to have the same problem on are sm52 2005. so i triesd it in single sheet mode and all timing issues are gone. i have checked the feeder timing 268 but are the feeder head timing and forwarding wheels the same as the pm . I also checked the alignment eyes and they are out a bit but if they where the main prob i should see timing issues in both modes on feeder. I have a tech coming in to work on another press so i think i get him to bring a clutch with him just incase.

9. Teeja

Teeja Member

Yeah It n good to Know what is wrong with it we have a 2005 2 color with the same problem and we have yet to get it fixed cause they have to pull the power box out from op side to get to the clutch. :/ Not happy. is it showing the little worm on you screen and if you move the sheet delay back and forth it doesn't help much. Are Engineer is saying the Clutch I was thinking the belt.

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Most likely the issue related to both of your machines (jmt and teeja) is a one-way bearing located on the drive side of the machine. Yes, if it is a 2 color the electrical cabinet will need to be pulled back a bit, and the cabinet is on the drive side, not op side. Not a huge deal if you didn't loose the skates that came with the machine when you got it. This one-way bearing makes it possible to run in stream feed mode and also single sheet mode. In single sheet mode you are driving the feeder directly with gears, no slipping possible. In stream feed mode, you are running the feeder through this one-way bearing. Once the bearing begins to wear you will have some slipping at the bearing and it will need to be replaced.

11. Teeja

Teeja Member

Thankyou yeah I was ment to say drive side but I just woke up haha
    yeah it must b fairly common we have a two color and 4 Color doing
    the same thing we are getting them fixed soon. what's the cause of this?
    is it stop starting of the machine, sudden stops or crash stop or just a poor clutch design.

12. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Honestly, I cant say poor clutch design because I have seen SM52s go well over 200 million and never having changed the bearing. As for a cause, normal wear and tear on a bearing.

13. Teeja

Teeja Member

lol yeah true that's a good count are machines are only young after hearing those numbers
    we are on about 5600000 I've been on heists for a good 12yrs and all I've touched are these machines
    they don't have many break downs well the last big one was this thread and it was just
    a black air hose , that's good value .

14. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

I have been working on SM52 since they were first released by Heidelberg. In my opinion the SM52 and its bigger brother the CD/XL75 are the best printing presses on the planet in their class. Not saying you will never have issues, but very solid machines indeed, even those with fully auto perfectors.

15. Teeja

Teeja Member

Yerp I second that one !! we have 2 colour perfect and 4 perfect and I've been on 102 perfect and a 5 sm74 perfect with Gooseneck Ir all of them Have had little Problems and Were Awsome Machine.
    Just need to know there Temperament and the puppies do the work for ya ,
    Sit back and enjoy the day lol . ;)

16. jmt

jmt Senior Member

are tech said to give it penitrating oil. doing this has helped some what .

17. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

Why would your tech suggest a repair that will fix it "some what" instead of replacing the bearing and fixing it?

18. jmt

jmt Senior Member

he will when he gets here next week. its was just getting harder and harder to keep it running. it made a huge improvment on card stock back up to running 15 thou a hour with no timing issues or stops.

19. asini

asini Member

Sorry to bother you exheidmech we have problem with our sm 52... the swing arm not take the sheet to the machine...it does take it when we mannually inch the sheets but not when we running it....the eyes seems to lean forward I wonder if that is right.... we trigger the cam or the little mechanism on the op side and the swing arm work but we can not get it to work normal...any idea what going on here please.

20. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Does press stops when sheet arrives at the front lays when you run? Do you get any error code? Did you checked your feeder timing?