Please help - Samsung CLP-325

Discussion in '8 ½ x 11 Color Laser Printers' started by kevinb, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kevinb

kevinb New Member

Hi,

Could you please help me, i think this is a stupid question, but i couldn`t find a forum, an article or even someone that might help me.

I recently bought a Samsung CLP-325 because of it`s price and printing resolution.

I need it to print some glossy labels with some text (text size is 5pt and 6pt).

I checked the settings, everything is ok, quality is set to high... selected glossy paper...

Now, when i look at the printed page, the text has a low quality, as you can see the dots in it.

From what i understand this is because of the printing resolution, but from the printer specifications i understand that my printer resolution is about 1200 x 600.

Is it normal that a text of 5pt to be this low quality, as i can see the dots?

Hope you understand my english. I have only 1 and a half year of english language :)

Thank you for your answers.

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Does black text print sharply on the same stock?

If the text is color, do you get any better result printing the same graphic/text on plain paper?

3. kevinb

kevinb New Member

i never tried printing that text in pure black... the text is a gray color. Also, i never tried printing on plain paper. Do i have to try this?

From what you suggest, i`m thinking that this way i can test if the problem is from the printer or the glossy paper, right?

i`ll wait for your answers, thanks again

4. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

I don't have your specific CLP-325 but I've had some samsung lasers and they don't seem particularly coarse screen to me. 5 and 6 pt is small, but it should be able to print it clearly. Sometimes glossy and heavy papers can cause things to be less smooth; my first thought is always to try some variations to try and narrow down the problem.

Another through would be to compare:
    1.) plain 100% black test - are edges smooth and is it crisp and clear
    2.) pure black gray - make sure the text is being sent as CMYK K-only or try a print in grayscale monochrome mode to test
    3.) a rich black gray - instead of making the gray from say 50% black, does it get better or worse if you make it with 25% C 25% M 25% Y and 40% black for a test?
    (not that you really want to do this but it would be interesting to compare the result.)

Further on #2, is the text being sent as K (black) only or is it being sent as an RGB black that gets converted to rich black (are the dots only black, or are you getting color dots in the mix too?)

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Where are you trying to print it from? Photoshop, MS Word, Illustrator?